• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

re-action hand , what is it good for?

P.A.L

I started this thread since i have seen it in several dojos and styles that during the practice of fighting techniques (let's say waza) most of people have the tendency of bringing their reaction hand to their belt and punch or block from there, IMO a block gets it's speed/power from hara not from reaction hand, reaction hand should stay up all the time to pick up the second punch/move......

let's talk about this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I learned the "reaction" hand could be anything.

It can grab and immobilize and attacking limb, pull a opponent closer

or assist the "punching" hand in applying some sort of limb manipulation.

The list just goes on and on. I have learned that the application happens

while the limbs are moving not when they come to rest at the end.

"reaction hand should stay up all the time to pick up the second punch/move"

That would be a good guard position but when you start moving then it

becomes depenent on the situation.

I hope this helps.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

let's talk about this.

To me, the answer about which one is more correct is "yes" ;)

Just like nin Tai said, it can be more than areactions hand, espcially in a block punch combo where you block, grab and then pull the reaction hand on the punch. As he said, this is just one of many examples.

For quick, fast, punching combos, leaving the reaction hand in that guard position is preferred.

Lot's of room to discuss all the possibilities of both methods.

I think we are talking about two applications here.

The first being BASIC TECHNIQUES: when learning/practicing basic blocks and strikes students are taught a specific "chamber" for each...the "reaction hand" usually starts from the waist to generate equal push and pull along with hip rotation to acheive balance and power. We are building muscle memory.

The 2nd being SPARRING/COMBAT TECHNIQUES: when sparring, the chamber (reaction hand) is kept in a gaurding position ( the technique is really not any different just the starting position) and muscle memory allows the technique to finish with proper push/pull/rotation.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I think we are talking about two applications here.

The first being BASIC TECHNIQUES: when learning/practicing basic blocks and strikes students are taught a specific "chamber" for each...the "reaction hand" usually starts from the waist to generate equal push and pull along with hip rotation to acheive balance and power. We are building muscle memory.

The 2nd being SPARRING/COMBAT TECHNIQUES: when sparring, the chamber (reaction hand) is kept in a gaurding position ( the technique is really not any different just the starting position) and muscle memory allows the technique to finish with proper push/pull/rotation.

8)

that was my point, you making Muscle memory during the basics which causes the problem during combat technique, you can try this, just ask your student to react to a long punch by moveing to the side middle block and reverse punch to the rib area, i bet more than %90 chamber their reverse hand on their side before reverse punch which i call school kids karate.

In basics you pull back to the hip:

1. so you maintain control of both arms while your performing techniques.

2. So you are aware that you can grab and pull your opponent with the hand that isnt attacking/defending (hikite).

and

3. So you learn the mechanics of the technique.

In application, the techniques are more "free-flowing" so your hands will either be:

1. In a guard (getting ready to do something)

or...

2. Actually doing something (blocking, attacking, redirecting, grabbing etc.)

Hikite falls into the second category.

just ask your student to react to a long punch by moveing to the side middle block and reverse punch to the rib area, i bet more than %90 chamber their reverse hand on their side before reverse punch which i call school kids karate.

In this situation i would try and turn the block into a grab and pull, so i would "chamber" my left hand to my side, but i would be holding my opponents arm with it. Then the right punch comes straight from a guard position(up near the chin, for me).

Shotokan - speaking the draw arm or reaction hand as you call it works like that in basic moves to help us build speed and power. However no one ever said do that in a real fight. We do it when working basics to build our techinqe and as we get up in rank into sparring you see that hand stay up.

Think of it like ridding a tricycle then a bicycle with training wheels then a bicycle and finally a motor cycle. Its just a tool that should be used early and done away with as you become better in your techinqes but a tool none the less you should have in your box to practice with.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In this situation i would try and turn the block into a grab and pull, so i would "chamber" my left hand to my side, but i would be holding my opponents arm with it. Then the right punch comes straight from a guard position(up near the chin, for me).

yes that's the way it supose to be but it is not for most. out of 5-6 karate senseis i worked under, only one emphesise on this. for most of students the reverse punch in example starts from their chambered hand and this is a bad habit.