• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Hapkido!!! has Questions.... :)

Hi im kinda new too hapkido, I have some questions for people in herewho know it, whats your belt system??? is it like Taekwondo??? or more karate??... do you guys like it??? it really seems like to me that youcan use it in a fight a lot better than Taekwondo...

thanks again, Andrew :D

"Who Dares, Wins"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido is also taught where I take Krav, I can tell you its probably more helpful in the street than TKD. Yes there is a belt system, there are no forms though in Hapkido, its is alot of throws, sweeps, joint manipulation, etc. There are plenty of strikes and kicks, but not as fancy as TKD usually.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Hapkido is VERY effective on the streets. I'll share a story with you about a guy I used to do security with who was a hapkido blackbelt. We were hired to do some security work for a popular Los angeles night spot where one of the clubs female employees was a bartender. Well apparently her boyfriend wasn't very happy about her profession so eventually she broke it off with him. Anyway this guy wasn't too happy about this so one night he began calling her and harrassing her at work, 23 times! She was disturbed by this and wanted us to walk her out to her car after work and sure enough he was there waiting. My collegue walked out to where the guy was standing and tried to talk to this guy calmly about leaving her alone at work and that sort of thing. He kept a distance of about 5 feet and the guy was livid that his girlfriend didn't want to talk to him so he started to approach the girl and me. I'm thinking to myself here we go, I'm going to have to handle this guy but my buddy cut him off and the guy tried to punch him. He side stepped the punch and grabbed ahold of this guy and used what appeared to be some kind of aikido type of throw that sent this guy literally flying over the hood of his car! He then pinned the guy down while I called the cops.

Now personally i'm not into aikido or any style that doesn't incorporate full force/full resistance training but I will always recommend a system that I have actually seen work on the streets and hapkido is one of those.

I'm only going to ask you once...

I have been in the martial arts for over 25 years and I've been a cop and done security for 13 years so yes I do have lot's of stories to tell. :D

I'm only going to ask you once...