• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What should I do to help re-prepare my self for karate?

Well I have allready gotten into better shape then when I left the dojo, so now that that is the way I need to get back into the karate mode of things. I left a while ago for several reasons, none of which were very good. I miss the dojo, I don't know my I left he expected great things out of me. Then I went and left, now I am coming back and want to have little or no catching up to do.

Should I just work on my basics? Round Houses, Front Kicks, Axe Kicks, Creasent Kicks, The basic Blocks, and my stances? Any additional stuff, like a good diet to complement my work. I am not over wieght I am just a little to meaty XD

Only 1 out of 1,000 karate participants make blackbelt? MAN I am gonna be one out of those 1,000^^. All summer I'll eat breath and sleep karate.

I want to win a major tournement and open up a school. It's my dream.

Thanks,

Ryokeen

P.S. Mom wanted me to pay for my first lesson so she was sure I wanted to continue, it's only 50.00 for privet lessons form a 9th dan certified teacher o.0.

Needing to focus...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I find that it helps to have a flexible body. I do a series of stretches (usually about half an hours worth) before bed every day. Otherwise, what you're already doing/planning on doing is fine.

The 1 in 1000 figure is probably the ratio of poeple who stuck with karate to the number of drop-outs. If you really want that black, you should be able to get it, no sweat...

i would advise stretching in the morning if you plan on cold kicking or non warm up flexibility.

also just generally go through what you remember having to do, seeing if you cna keep up..

Good luck, hope you enjoy being back at training.

1. Set up a self training schedule

2. Work on anaerobic fitness

3. Practise all Karate techniques

4. Set Goals

5. Focus on your goals daily.

The Warrior Code:

I will train with the utmost intensity, dedication and desire

I will turn obstacles into opportunities to demonstrate my power and strength

No feat is beyond my reach, I will write my own destiny

To hell with genetics, I will determine my physical prowess and strength

I am an action taker not an action faker

I am a leader not a follower

There are no magic pills. My strength and power originate from my intensity and devotion

There are no shortcuts to the top. The Warrior’s journey is never ending. I will surge forward, improving myself each day.

I will rise to the top, overcome all obstacles, and destroy my internal and external enemies.

Excuses are weak, Warriors are strong. I am a Warrior!!

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I agree with the other comments.

I have experience with breaks in my training. For the karate techniques themselves, I found if I worked on the things I was sure I knew well, and didn't stress too much about things I barely remembered, I had less chance of remembering wrong, or drawing a complete blank. Of course, 5 months isn't all that long; it should come back pretty easily.

Don't worry if any of the other students have passed you in their training, or worry about the time you've missed. Even if 5 months were a long time to be away (I was gone for 5 years, and a fellow student was gone for 20 years), it is what you're doing now that counts; look forward to your goals and to your training.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Keep on practicing and hammering away at the basics. It is from these basics that the more complex techniques are derived, and someone who tries to practice the complex stuff without touching up on the basics, is akin to building a house on a sand foundation.

Maintain your flexibility.

Above all, when you go back to the dojo, keep an open mind. Your skills might be a bit rusty, but if I were a betting man, I'd say that they're still there, and just need some polishing. Be happy for the ones who have surpassed your rank; martial arts training isn't about superceding others, but rather superceding one's own limitations.

Most importantly, take your training one day at a time. At the risk of sounding like a certain Star Wars character, I'm going to tell you to be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the present.