• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

reverse punch, heel up or down?

louie_shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends on where your opponent is.

If he is close enough where you don't have to over extend I'm flat footed.

If I have to reach or make distance the heal is lifted to cover the distance and generate power without leaning over and sacraficing my balance.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I tend to let my rear foot slide up with the punch.

While experimenting on the makiwara I found that

by letting the foot slide it transfered my body weight

to the target.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

I was always taught to drive the hip forward using the legs and the rotation of the hip in a forward direction, not around.

I could be wrong, but I thought this was standard.

Okinawan Kenpo has a very specific way of doing this. First you must understand that in Okinawan Kenpo our front stance is no where near as deep then what you see in Goju or Shotokan. When we jab we generally add a shuffle with our front leg and then we rotate our back leg and heal out to the side and bring it forward as we bring our hip around for the reverse punch. This causes us to move off line slightly. The idea is that a jab will invoke a response, moving our back leg out moves our head and body slightly off line at the last second. This is very effective in sparring as well as the street as it really sets you up in a nice position. Also you can get quite a bit of bang in that second punch.

we do the same ,

i don't care the heel is up or down, timming is more important , i think in the last moment the heel will sit on the ground naturally. in point karate most likely the heel is up since you wanna reach from a farther distance to the target.