• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

reverse punch, heel up or down?

louie_shotokan

hello everyone 1 my favarite combo is the old "jab and reverse punch".

but when you jab you do a zenkutsu dachi then reverse dosent is seem silly to punch 2 times in the same stance? so i think i should jab in zenkutsu dachi then reverse with my heel up...you guys how do u jab and reverse punch?

gyaku tsuki

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

jab in my bow stance and reverse with heel up.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

This is highly debateable. Have you ever seen Mike Tyson knock someone down with a straight punch (boxings reverse punch) with his heel up?

I have. Its very powerful

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

but when you jab you do a zenkutsu dachi then reverse dosent is seem silly to punch 2 times in the same stance?

It depends if your talking about kihon or application. In kihon the heel stays down because its correct form, but in application you perform the techniques on a more free-flowing manner. This means you wont really be in an exact zenkutsu dachi but you will "fall" into a position similar to it for a small moment while performing the strike.

you guys how do u jab and reverse punch?

All my techniques are applied basically from a boxing stance. Feet shoulder width apart and when i just, if im moving forward i might "fall" into zenkutsu dachi and then keep moving forward with the gyaku tsuki.

Okinawan Kenpo has a very specific way of doing this. First you must understand that in Okinawan Kenpo our front stance is no where near as deep then what you see in Goju or Shotokan. When we jab we generally add a shuffle with our front leg and then we rotate our back leg and heal out to the side and bring it forward as we bring our hip around for the reverse punch. This causes us to move off line slightly. The idea is that a jab will invoke a response, moving our back leg out moves our head and body slightly off line at the last second. This is very effective in sparring as well as the street as it really sets you up in a nice position. Also you can get quite a bit of bang in that second punch.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I use heel down for the left/right combo. When I throw a hook the heel on my front foot moves slightly. After boxing and studying full contact karate, I believe the heel down is the best method for me. I'm not punching through a glove, but with a bare fist, this changes the punch a little.

Lifting the heel, for me anyway, is a function of hip rotation. More rotation, the heel comes up. Less/no rotation, the heel stays back. If I can get my opponent to not react (by tiring him out, having good timing, etc.) then follow through can be very damaging.

If my opponent is on to my reverse, then I will expend energy without causing a lot of damage, and that's not a good combination. So, I'll pull my follow through, redirect, or do something else with the strike.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Heel down seems more solid try both ways and find which works best for you.

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.