• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reason for weapon training?

MMACHAMP wrote:

doesn't it work to just take someone down, mount them then ground and pound?

Yes, and no. If someone bigger, stronger, younger, uglier than me was to attack me I'd sure want to have a bo, a sai, nunchaku, etc to equalize the playing field. But since those weapons are rarely found laying around I'd like to know that if I grab that broom handle over there, or my keys, or my belt (to replace the aforementioned weapons) I could use them in my defense.

Also, martial arts training is not only intended to teach self defense, discipline, fitness, and all the other benefits we could list out, it also passes on the history and culture of it's founders. Remember, many of these weapons were developed and used long ago by people to protect themselves from occupying forces. The history and tradition of this practice is passed on to today's martial artist. It's more a cultural thing than it is an expected way to defend oneself on the streets.

Everyone has their own preference what they want to persue for education, recreation, and health. You want to grapple, I like to compete in sport TKD, some folks want to learn weapons, some like to box. It's all martial arts and has its place. There will always be as many varieties of the art as long as there are people with a variety of interest.

The very best to you and your training!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hubby used to teach a womens self-defense seminar and all participants were required to bring a bag of groceries. They then went through the items and he demonstrated/taught how to use them as a weapon. Of course not all items were used but was always a great lesson. Also, my old school used to encourage the use of household items (chairs, benches, pencils, brooms, etc) for weapons training.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

doesnt it work to just take someone down, mount them then ground and pound?

Sure it does. But my 16 year old brother can do that. Now can he do it as well as someone trained in Jujitsu? No, but why do you need to know how to do that well? Well maybe you might need to deal with a bigger guy, or someone who is armed, or more then one guy, or someone who knows how to take someone down as well as you do? Wait a second here. These are the same reasons we train in weapons. Maybe this isn't so hard to understand after all.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

exactly Sauzin....its who can apply basic takedowns...or takedown defenses and grappling techniques that can gain the dominant position on the ground....im sure i can do that with mostly anyone. I have a brown belt in BJJ which took me since i started at the age of 8. And i went to state finals on the highschool wrestling team. Im not really big...im about 5'9"....150lbs...but my intent in any one on one fighting situation is to go to the ground. Just like you guys train weapons...its all the same basic techniques...its who can apply them the best through extensive training...same goes for grappling. Your little brother can mount...but if you trained BJJ you would be able to mount him alot easier even if he was your size.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

Precisely :wink:

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I train with weapons, which aren't a main element of our system, for 2 reasons.

1.) It's fun.

2.) It teaches principles applicable to open hand fighting, and expands principles of open-hand to weapons.

Will I have my sai if I'm ever in a fight? Not unless the guy lets me know he's going to attack me and I have time to go back to my car and get them out. Will I be able to adapt something else to use as a weapon - I would hope so.

In reality, though, I'd rather go bare-handed or with a staff(like object). However, I would be willling to bet my belts that there is an incredibly small number of people that could take anyone with a club, less with a knife, and virtually nobody who could fight someone with a gun.

Reality check;

Parkerlineage

PS.

Shoot him.

Rad.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

yeah... it would be stupid to bring a knife to a gun fight ohhh joy

I think General Custer would disagree.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes