• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reason for weapon training?

I train BJJ and basically we just learn to grapple and how to fight on the ground one on one....in alot of other martial arts they teach you how to fight with weapons...like staffs and swords and such. What a martial art is and means to me is something used to learn how to defend yourself and fight. This is not to say your opinion of martial arts is wrong, im just trying to gain an understanding of the reason behind learning to become a ninja or train with weapons. I mean you cant use them in a street fight so whats the point?

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train with knife, stick, and gun(among a variety of other archaic arms for fun). I carry two of the aforementioned with me. What is not applicable in your opinion?

Ninja? I laugh. If you want to see real ninja watch "Duel to the Death".

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

We train in weapons for a few reasons.

1. Fun!

2. We actually do train with things we might find on the ground. Staff training all translates into the same movements as with a shorter stick, so the spins and strikes are all the same.

3. A lot of weapon training will give you greater insight into empty hand training.

36 styles of danger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Here's my reply:

Kobodo teaches to use a wide variety of weapons, not just because there might be a sai nearby when you get into a fight *sarcasm*, but because the principles used with these weapons can apply to a stick, a bottle, a hand, a finger, a knife, or whatever might be available. The way it works is you take a base set of weapons that teach a base set of principles and then you rely on the practicality of the principles, not the weapons. It's the principles you will have when it counts. Relying on anything makes the effectiveness of your defense reliant on the circumstance. That's not a good idea.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

doesnt it work to just take someone down, mount them then ground and pound?

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

Martial Arts and Weapons are like Ying and Yiang. You can't be truely be well rounded with out both.

In these days it isn't likely that you will be walking down the street with a Bo or Kama. However the small hand held weapons are still warrented in every day situations. A jiwa could be a pen or a pencil, and guess what, I know how to use it.

:roll: If you don't have a pencil there are other ways besides mounting someone on the ground and taking care of the problem. Taking someone down is fine if you know that It is only one person attacking, however ground fighting is better suited for controlled situations (Like the UFC or something like that). It doesn't work too well when his buddy hits you in the back of the head. However I enjoy ground fighting, I just don't see it as practicle as a main source of self defense. A good martial artist should be able to use weapons, fight hand to hand, take it to the ground, and use mental self-defense first.

What I mean is that you need to be well versed in everything to be prepared for any situation... sorry for the rant. :)

What a martial art is and means to me is something used to learn how to defend yourself and fight.

This is interesting. I live in Baltimore - I actually go to a university here. The security department on this campus like to post up details of crimes that happen to students as well as university related people in the area. Unfortunately, Baltimore, having one of the highest crime rates in America, provides us with many MANY security posts.

Two students have died in the last year. Why? Because people on the street carry guns. All the security reports show the attacker having a gun or at least a knife, and if its a knife, there are usually 2 or 3 attackers. I have yet to see a report in my 5 years here about someone getting attacked on the street by one empty handed person.

It depends on your definition of "learning how to defend yourself and fight." If you are talking about some drunk hitting you in a bar or a club and you have to beat the crap out of him that's one thing. Defending against a guy with a gun (which is like all of Baltimore) is something else.

So weapons training - only certain weapons training (ie getting a membership at a gun range) can help you on the street for real self defense. I'm guessing that all the classical weaponry like sai's katanas, etc are for fun and to help build the art that one practices.

As for the mounting, ground and pound, wouldn't it be easier to kick the guy in the leg, clinch and then knee+elbow? (I see u do Muay Thai)

Ground's worst place to be in a fight ... cud take a boot to the mouth from one of your attacker's buds (this is NOT to say that groundfighting should be ignored, or to be shrugged off with an excuse like "well I just won't let them take me to the ground")