• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai actually invented by Cambodians?

Muay Thai...seems like it would be invented in Thailand but i have been reading alot about Cambodia and the khmer rouge and the Pol Pot regime...all that. I recently read about Khmer boxing...which is basically exactly like muay thai lol...anyway, many cambodians claim that khmer boxing was invented first and the thais stole it, naming it muay thai. They say the reason khmer boxing was never popularized was because of the the pol pot regime suppressing all martial arts in cambodia. I've read a few articles on it and i was just wondering if anyone else heard about this and if so had anymore info on it?

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havn't heard this before but its intresting...

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I really don't thai or cambo good enough for me... :brow: :brow:

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

uhm that didnt make sense tigerheart...

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

i think he ment i doesnt really care because its still an effective MA so he dont care where its from.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

the Khmers may have invented it but the Thais profected it so i would say Muay Thai is Thai but its origen is in cambodia.

also Cambodia had a larg following of boxing monks untill the Khmer Roge took over and killed them all. :(

Fist visible Strike invisible

• 2 weeks later...
I thought the Thai's stole Muay Thai from the Bando/Thaing of Burma???
I've heard that also I think it's called Burmese Bando.Also while it it similar to thai it has a lot of differences,like throws and weapons
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

In my travels I have been able to visit the south east asian area and the "boxing" of the thai , cambodian , laus , and burmese people is similar . With the close proximity of those countries and the way the people there have migrated over the last 1000 years or so there is a very good chance that they all influenced one another in some way . Hard to say where it started and not sure that it matters all that much . They all seem to be very effective and fun to practise and watch . :)

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.