• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uechi Ryu Karate

ApHoTiC

Has anyone heard of this? I was thinking of getting into it and i was wondering if anyone knew about it. Does it use circular movements for blocks like kung fu, or a more direct approach?

ALL info is greatly appreciated :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uechi Ryu is one of the "newer" styles of karate. I'm not referring to what most people think of as "modern" karate. Instead, I mean it was brought over from China in the early 1900s by its present namesake. Thus the techniques have less of an Okinawan influence to them and are more Chinese than some of their other karate counterparts. While all Okinawan karate certainly has Chinese roots and employ circular blocks and principles, from what I've seen, Uechi Ryu is much more overt in its usage and practice. That being said, it still is a mixture of Chinese and Okinawan practices.

If you have the opportunity to learn from a qualified Uechi Ryu instructor, I would recommend it. I imagine a Uechi Ryu practitioner can add much more than my most brief of explanations.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Shorin Ryuu: Well said.

ApHoTiC. The web sight that you posted has a lot of information/ history about Uechi Ryu. Uechi is a great style to learn. I've been training for nine years and I'm so glad that I chose Uechi Ryu. If Stephen Drehobl trains with Master James Thompson you would be very fortunate to be exposed to him. He is an excellent practitioner and has a wealth of knowledge.

But do go and watch a couple of classes. Good luck.

More Practice

Anyone that is directly under Sensei Thompson is good. I train at his (Thompson Sensei) dojo a few times a year.

Uechi Ryu is half hard and half soft. From what I have seen, The body conditioning is superior to most styles. The circle block is the unique signature block of this Chinese influenced style. The Sanchin stance is the main stance which often raises the eyebrows of those who have only seen shotokan.

From my experience It is a great Style. It is also family like because it seems like everyone knows someone.

Uechi-ryu is considered a sister style to Goju-ryu because they are very similar.

A few years back I was able to go to a seminar to train under Mr. Thompson in my experience he is one of the most knowledgeable karateka. So my advice is go for it.

hara wo neru