• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

biggest differences between Shotokan & Kyokushin????

mlee

Having trained Kyokushin for close to 30 years i would have to say it is much easier to dial it up than it is to dial it down.

Osu!. Surely you dial it down when you spar with a child, newby, woman? Even just a little bit. If not, you must have some fearsome students.

Perhaps I deviate from the norm. In the dojo I adjust my sparring based on the abilities of my opponents, while others pound away on opponents regardless of their ability to defend themselves. It could be my approach is too paternalistic. Am I doing a disservice to weaker opponents by taking it easy on them? I certainly appreciate it when stronger opponents, who could very well kick me into the emergency room, don't.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, thought we were talking just tournaments here, where the adrenaline is pumping away. Of course in class in a much calmer setting a different story. The bigger guys if they want to go at it well they are old enough and strong enough to do this then have at it, as to the girls and kids of course we take it easier on them, most of the time.

We all come with different reasons for learning a martial art...but the basic one should be self-defense. Some individuals want to compete and become the baddest MA out there...but I would guess that the vast majority of students do not come to a martial art for that. I would think the "average joe or jane" wants to learn how to react in the rare event that danger presents itself walking to their car, getting a drink in a bar etc. Obviously, being in the best shape is highly desirable...but most people will not achieve it. So, if you enjoy full contact fighting...you will have to train like a boxer. I would expect most of us have lives and demands (and finances) that limit that level of training. Shotokan allows me to train at my individual speed...nothing is given...and probably walk out of the dojo without a fractured leg. Hopefully, I will be building enough muscle memory and technique that if called upon I will be able to apply it effectively. But, I agree, to be the best prepared, you have to train hard and in as realistic a manner as possible...regardless of style.

We all come with different reasons for learning a martial art...but the basic one should be self-defense. Some individuals want to compete and become the baddest MA out there...but I would guess that the vast majority of students do not come to a martial art for that. I would think the "average joe or jane" wants to learn how to react in the rare event that danger presents itself walking to their car, getting a drink in a bar etc. Obviously, being in the best shape is highly desirable...but most people will not achieve it. So, if you enjoy full contact fighting...you will have to train like a boxer. I would expect most of us have lives and demands (and finances) that limit that level of training. Shotokan allows me to train at my individual speed...nothing is given...and probably walk out of the dojo without a fractured leg. Hopefully, I will be building enough muscle memory and technique that if called upon I will be able to apply it effectively. But, I agree, to be the best prepared, you have to train hard and in as realistic a manner as possible...regardless of style.

Very well said ,I coulden't agree more ,not because you do shotokan ! b.t.w would you care to say something about your school and instructer . :)

never give up !

I attend Focus Martial Arts and my Sensei is Jim O'Hara. Jim is the current U.S. Karate Team (AAU) coach and was the 1996 World Kumite Champion in his wt class...170 lbs I think...anyway...he runs a very successful school and offers a full range of classes. His teams have been multiple winners in the international events and he brings a well rounded teaching approach to the Dojo. We focus on traditional Shotokan Kihon, Kata and Kumite but include self-defense (from knife blocks to some grappling tactics) and the mental aspects...how we carry ourselves day to day...don't appear like a victim in waiting....look up! etc. His wife Marianne is a black belt as well and her specialty is training the younger ages. Sensei says Shotokan is regarded as the most powerful form...he stresses that does not mean the best and is not a boast...just that the punches and kicks are designed to deliver the maximum force. Obviously, styles that use the same techniques have the same effect. Jim's Sensei is Jo Mirza. We recently had Jo and Ray Dalke come in for a session...very interesting to see how lifelong training can allow you to remain forceful well into your older years.

• 1 month later...

I started back in the days with shotokan and after about year and half i discovered kyokushin. From my experience it was the real contact from kyokushin that made me go on this path. Everything you do , any mistakes you do have a meaning in kyokushin fighting , and beeing a skinny guy it made me a lot stronger to the point that i took up competing in full contact tournaments.

Over all kyokushin focuses more I think on the fighting aspects with real contact , shotokan does more kihon and kata .

I've been trying to figure this out too. Honestly, I think the difference is completely based on the school. The way my school trains, you'd think it was kyokushin, but it's Shotokan to the core.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate