• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anime

Darkfeather

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anime comes in a wide variety, tailored for all sorts of people. Some titles are great, others OK, and some just plain awful (Biohunter, anyone?). They also come in various language options, although if you buy the DVD titles, you'll get the option of whether you want Japanese or English audio, as well as your choice of subtitles.

Basically, the Japanese are a lot more desensitized when it comes to animated violence, nudity, etc. In general, if you don't want your kids to see this kind of thing, then read the labels; the more graphic ones will have warning stickers on them. Those of us who are old enough to remember the time that Streamline actually distributed videos, probably also remember that rather humorous "Not for kids" label with the frowning face on it.

If you were used to watching After School or Saturday Morning Cartoons, you'll probably find much of today's anime a completely different beast than what you're used to seeing. Seeing people literally explode in "Fist of the North Star" or people getting their heads lopped off in "Ninja Scroll" is quite commonplace.

Even some of anime that was shown in the USA was watered down from the original episodes in Japan. For example, when the series "Battle of the Planets" was brought over to the USA (it was called "Gatchaman" in Japan), the editors would cut out 7-10 minutes out of each episode that was considered too violent for kids, and would even alter the audio. They would replace the lost footage with scenes of a very pathetic robot acting as their guide.

Just to give you a taste, in one episode, a woman's family had been killed by one of the bad guy's robotic monsters, and the leader of the good guys gives the lady a chance to kill the monster. When she starts blubbering about how she can't do it, in the American version, the leader consoles her and agrees that revenge is never a good reason. In the Japanese version, the leader starts screaming at her, calling her a weakling as he smashes his fist into her solar plexus.

Maybe some people like it because they can finally see decent cartoon violence. Maybe some people like it because at the time, the animation was superior to what was available in the US. Maybe others liked it for more cartoon eye candy.

The bottom line, though, is that you should watch some of the Japanese Animation titles, and see if it's for you. If you would state your preferences as to what you would like to see, perhaps we can recommend some titles.

I used to love it about four or five years ago when it was less common- I thought, "Woah! I'm into something that most people have never heard of!". Now, I know what you mean. It just seems like everyone's into it. It's really just a fad and will fade like the other's that came before it. I think it's going out pretty soon, the B&N my aunt worked at was giving a bunch of manga away, I think Suncoast will be eliminating a lot of it's anime space soon. There used to be two or three shelves devoted to it in movie stores in my area at it's height, now, just one. But when I was first into it, I remember how rare it seemed to find it! But when some new type of animation comes, the media takes notice- think of Shrek and Finding Nemo, those computer 3-D movies are popping up everywhere.

People like different things.

LOL! Couldn't have said it better myself, Patrick!

Does anyone here like the Naruto series? A few of my friends love it, and one of them lent me 5 DVDs of the episodes (which I haven't gotten around to watching because of schoolwork).

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I like it because I'm a geek.

Wait, that's not what I meant to say.

I like some anime because to be honest, they often have better plots than most TV shows do here in America. Some of the most intriguing, exciting and often thought-provoking shows I have seen were anime. As others have mentioned, there is a wide variety of audiences for various shows in Japan, where anime and manga (basically comic books) are pretty much on par with regular TV programming in some respects. There are high quality shows and there are those that probably aren't worth the paper they are drawn on. But that's with anything else, I suppose.

Since I study Japanese, it also helps me brush up on the language by hearing it spoken. No offense to American voice actors, but Japanese voice actors (a very big industry there) are simply of much higher quality. In America, they really try too much to have the voices match the mouth-movements whereas in Japan, they don't care as much (to allow for more emotion and better acting).

Anyway, long story short...it's because I'm a geek. Oops, I did it again. I mean...because I find some shows far better than anything I'd find on American TV.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I think it's very unique; it gives you some perspective on the way other cultures think and look at humanity.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I'd just like to say that certain anime offers something I've found lacking in many shows or movies in America or abroad: substance. In many good series or films, you can emotionally connect with the characters, empathize with the circumstances and generally become more involved with the outcome than in any other media outlet. Not to mention that many of these good series or films carry spectacular plots that puts most of Hollywood to shame. The most powerful cinematic moments (to include regular movies, television, musicals, etc.) I've ever experienced came from watching an anime. The fact that many of these are art in motion only adds icing to the cake. Watch Grave of the Fireflies and tell me it doesn't move you.

I highlight "certain" because there are other anime that as Shorin Ryuu mentioned just aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The crap you see on TV on any given Saturday morning is a good example. Ever since the Pokemon marketing craze, networks have been feeding kids more crap-anime. I really don't know what happend to the classic Saturday morning cartoon (GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, etc.), but the anime these kids are watching these days is garbage.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Full metal panic! I just bought 'Mission.4' I love that series, it is so interesting!

How can you not like anime? not even gundam?

The cool summer breeze passes me by.