What's best for UFC/MMA?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's best for UFC/MMA?

• Karate
    • Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    • Boxing
    • Kung Fu
    • Muay Thai

I think you definatly need many skills but I think Muay Thai work very well for MMA. Look at the success of CroCop in Pride! the big Left kick from mirko has topple the biggest heavyweights. If he came to the UFC he would dominate the HW division

There is no teacher but the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you definatly need many skills but I think Muay Thai work very well for MMA. Look at the success of CroCop in Pride! the big Left kick from mirko has topple the biggest heavyweights. If he came to the UFC he would dominate the HW division
I agree on your comment on mirko cro cop, but I do think that other styles besides muay thai are good for the octagon
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I think this is a bit biased ... the poll is OK, but we are getting to some nasty things if we are not careful. Stand up fighting is important indeed. You can keep someone standing and punch and kick. you can also go to ground and succeed. If you are good at ground fighting you can have a good standup fighter that could kick you ... there are so many ifs in here that we will not come to a common conclusion.

Still ... voted for Karate. In a good dojo you learn some ground stuff too .. if you can incorporate that you'll be fine. And here we go again to the main problem: THE WAY YOU TRAIN. Nowadays there is no pure style anymore. We all try stuff taken from other styles at least just beacause it's "cool" ... if it's good information .. use it, it doesn't matter that much that's from another style.

I'm ranting, I know ... hope you get my message.

"Some" groundfighting is not enough to succeed in MMA competition. Grappling is the base of all fighting MMA has proven that.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

I disagree. MMA is biased intrinsically in favor of grappling to begin with, and there has been quite a lot of shift to a standing game in recent years in MMA. It's no longer about the pounce and grapple. You can't say that "Grappling is the base of all fighting" because it simply is not true. When I talked to LEO's and asked how often their fights went to the ground, not counting the actual act of handcuffing a restrained suspect, I got answers like "10%", "6%". Watching clips of random brawls, a lot of the fights ended up, at some point, with one or both people on the floor - AT WHICH POINT THEY IMMEDIATELY STOOD UP, generally without attempting any grappling, and continued the fight in a standup striking mode. And usually the fight "went to the ground" not because someone was taken down, but because someone was off balance flailing and fell down/tripped.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

There are a few thoughts here.

One is that if one of them were a groundfighter, as soon as they fell to the ground, that's where it would stay. People get up because neither opponent is comfortable on the ground.

As to the shift in MMA competitions, it has to do 'directly' with the shift in rules that penalize groundfighters for not being 'entertaining' enough. Check out the rules and check out how they break a clinch on the ground if they aren't striking at each other. Yet, a very skilled groundfighter doesn't need to strike, except as a means of distraction so as to setup a lock or break.

This shift in the MMA competitions was done for 'money.' They abandoned the 'martial artists' and went for the media draw... the mass of ignorant spectators that just want to hear flesh being pounded, blood spurting, and bruises and welts.

Ask the originals. Ask the Gracies, the Shamrocks, Severn, and others. They all have indicated the same thing.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

There are a few thoughts here.

One is that if one of them were a groundfighter, as soon as they fell to the ground, that's where it would stay. People get up because neither opponent is comfortable on the ground.

As to the shift in MMA competitions, it has to do 'directly' with the shift in rules that penalize groundfighters for not being 'entertaining' enough. Check out the rules and check out how they break a clinch on the ground if they aren't striking at each other. Yet, a very skilled groundfighter doesn't need to strike, except as a means of distraction so as to setup a lock or break.

This shift in the MMA competitions was done for 'money.' They abandoned the 'martial artists' and went for the media draw... the mass of ignorant spectators that just want to hear flesh being pounded, blood spurting, and bruises and welts.

Ask the originals. Ask the Gracies, the Shamrocks, Severn, and others. They all have indicated the same thing.

I completely disagree. Can you name ONE now I'm not asking for alot of examples but can you name ONE fighter that is competitive in the mixed martial arts world that does not have extensive grappling experience? THe reason why it is dominated now by supposed strikers is because they have learned and understand the groundgame and for no other reason then that.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

I agree on your comment on mirko cro cop, but I do think that other styles besides muay thai are good for the octagon

thats what i said

There is no teacher but the enemy.

And one more thing that jason goy's website is kinda weird,he call himself sensei and is a kung-fu practitioner.Sensei is for japanese martial arts and sifu is for chinese martial arts.

Jason DeLucia is currently teaching Aikido, which is why his site refers to him as "Sensei." HIs Kung Fu training has definitely influenced everything he does, but since he's not teaching Kung Fu it would be inappropriate for his students to call him "Sifu."

aiki inu

From what I can tell, DeLucia has strayed far from his Kung Fu beginnings. Not that it's a bad thing, just that it may explain his title of Sensei (I didn't even know about the Aikido thing).