• advertisement_alt

Do you train with makiwara

makiwaraman

do you use makiwara  

69 members have voted

1. 1. do you use makiwara

• yes
    • no

if the post can sit back 1 inch it's good enough, although i don't like the idea of 45' brace unless you don't hit at around brace area since there is no movemenot on that sopt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Makiwara is basically a railway sleeper that helps to support a fence, with a bail of thick twine that I strap to it with elastic bands. It's certainly not ideal to train on with absoulutly NO give in it, but it is good for aim, distancing and conditioning, although admittedly it's not too often I use it.

My property is simply not suitable for a more functional Makiwara. Better than nothing I guess...

Whilst there is a conditioning benefit from training against a 'stiff' makiwara I think its important to look at what were trying to actually achive.

Personally i like the concept of focusing power 'into' the target, for me I need to contact and deliver power at least 4-6 inches into the target.

If your makiwara only gives 1 inch, or nothing you are not achiving this, the shock is transmitted back, which just cant be good for you long term, its also not good for releasing the energy into the target.

This is my view for thrusts, the view on strikes is a little different as you are not driving through like a full bodied punch, the less give wouldnt be a problem as much, however training strikes on a makiwara with give is fine as well.

Part of my karate is about looking after ourselves and longevity in the martial arts, I want to train the way I do for as long as I can, this meant radical changes to the way I trained a while back - its like the karate master and his knee brace from training far to long and low zenkutsudachi, madness!

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

matsubayashi - eastbourne, ireland

seito matsumura - sevenoaks, sussex

seidokan - london

theres more shorin ryu out there if you look hard enough, but hardly any in comp to the main systems

Edited by shoshinkan

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

Do you train on makiwara

I am sure you can guess that I would say yes. I also agree with the mushin, kime, conditioning, etc.

As to the debate on whether a heavy bag and/or focus mitt does work better, I think that in the early days its essential to your training to hit something with full focus be it makiwara, heavy bag, impact pad, focus pad, I have lost count of the times I have seen karate-ka hit something with full focus for the first time and find out they have bad form usually resulting in a sprained wrist. Including two BB from a mcdojo.

I think the choice is a very individual thing and has more to do with tradition than whats the best. Karate-ka are a traditional bunch just consider that we wear gi's when shorts and t-shirt would do the job.Or why use ishi-sashi when dumbells will work. Its down to tradition and how far you wish to travel down that route. So use what you feel suits you best but practise full focus strikes on something.

Regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

I have two hand made makiwara at my house one in the back yard on a post in the ground the other on a tree in my front yard. this one I also do my kicks on I train on them almost every day. :karate:

The makiwaras at my dojo are very stiff, with only a bit of padding. That's how I prefer it.

Right now I just push the makiwara to develop good coordination for penetrating strikes. In the future I'll use it for speed punching, once my knuckles are conditioned enough. I'll probably never use the makiwara for power punching, that just sounds too painful. I prefer bags and focus pads for developing power.

At home my makiwara is a big ol' tree. I just tie a rag to it.

The makiwaras at my dojo are very stiff, with only a bit of padding. That's how I prefer it.

Unless your weapons are already conditioned you are likely to get arthritis later in life, IMO a makiwara must have more flex, and more than an ol tree can offer.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

• 1 month later...

I have two. One is for punching, elbow strikes, tiger claw, hammer fist, leopard paw, etc and med kicks. The second is lower for, lower kicks, sweeps, etc. Both are made from 4x4s with straw and rope. Use them every day. also practice weaponds on them. They are flexable and give, but nothing like a bag. Next I want to build a Mook dummy.

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?