• advertisement_alt

Do you train with makiwara

makiwaraman

do you use makiwara  

69 members have voted

1. 1. do you use makiwara

• yes
    • no

Hello just wanting to know who else uses makiwara? if not why ?

and what one you use homemade, block type, timber post, old tyre

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mah- kee- wah- ra

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

We have a makiwara in our dojo but i have never used it since i had green belt , i use a sandbag insted

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

What's makiwara?

I am surprised that you don't know what a makiwara is, because it is used very often by Okinawan karate stylists to condition their hands (arms and even feet and legs) and develop timing, accuracy and power for their strikes. I thought that they would be used by Shorin-ryu stylists as this is an Okinawan style of karate.

Anyway, makiwaras usually come in the form of vertical wooden poles with a rubber top part covered in leather. The practitioners stand in front in various stances, and punch and kick the pole to gain the benefits.

Some masters recommend the daily use of makiwaras to get maximum results.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I don't currently use one, but I would like to. The primary reason is because I haven't had the time or knowledge to construct one. I've seen directions for making them online; I'm not terribly handy, but perhaps now that I'm on break from school I could give it a go. Anyone else make their own? How hard was it?

I have one my wife bought for me several years ago. It's 9 inches wide and 12 inches high. A 1 inch thick board with what I think might be 1 inch thick felt, covered with canvass and a dragon on front. I mounted it on my basement wall, about solar plexus high to the center. I try to use it at least once a week. I get an excellent workout with it. I strike it with the knuckles, palmheel, knifehand, hammerfist, elbows, and front kick. It gives me an excellent idea of distance, and what it's like to strike a hard object. The area that I strike the most has compressed, so over time it has become even harder. Since it isn't a typical makiwara made with rope, I haven't gotten the calluses you might regularly see, but I know that I get the same effect. I would highly recommend to any one to buy/make one for training purposes.

Carl