• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocks,are they blocks to you?

Bunkai

It's a bad idea to block and then attack. This gives a small moment when nothing is being done and the attacker can carry on attacking. In a real fight people don't just throw one punch and then stop and wait for you to have your turn, like a dangerous game of chess. They keep coming, and if you give them an opportunity they would love to hand you your head on a plate ;)

So when defending you have to make any sort of block a strike as well, while also using another body part to continue your attack. Keep going until the job is done.

I don't like to think of the kihon basics as blocks. If being used to stop an attack it's a bad idea to meet strength with strength - bone with bone. In that case only the strongest person ever wins. Instead shift, parry or redirect. Use their momentum against them. Get out of the way and do something.

Age uke can be a neck strike, an arm break, a choke.

Soto uke can be an arm break, or a strike.

Gedan barai can be a throw, a strike, a lock.

etc. etc.

What they are not are hard blocks, especially against limbs like the legs, and not against karate style attacks in a SD environment.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well. a block is a block

Mix a block with an intent of hitting and you have a counter-hit.

katas ,however, have some blocks that are not necesarily blocks but watered down throws and locks(in some styles, not all).

I have a friend who studied Karate for 7 years - told me, look: in this part of the Kata you really would be breaking someone's neck,, over here you twist the arm, here is a throw....

it was interesting because if you dont pay attention, you would think its just another movement without much purpose... :)

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

It's a bad idea to block and then attack. This gives a small moment when nothing is being done and the attacker can carry on attacking. In a real fight people don't just throw one punch and then stop and wait for you to have your turn, like a dangerous game of chess. They keep coming, and if you give them an opportunity they would love to hand you your head on a plate ;)

So when defending you have to make any sort of block a strike as well, while also using another body part to continue your attack. Keep going until the job is done.

I don't like to think of the kihon basics as blocks. If being used to stop an attack it's a bad idea to meet strength with strength - bone with bone. In that case only the strongest person ever wins. Instead shift, parry or redirect. Use their momentum against them. Get out of the way and do something.

Age uke can be a neck strike, an arm break, a choke.

Soto uke can be an arm break, or a strike.

Gedan barai can be a throw, a strike, a lock.

etc. etc.

What they are not are hard blocks, especially against limbs like the legs, and not against karate style attacks in a SD environment.

If you know how to wait for the right moment, and you can do a full block(not just blocking at the wrist and expect the attacker to stand there) you can follow a block with a strike. We do it in Kajukenbo and it works for us. Of course, u train to block where u should, and to do it swiftly so the attacker is not standing there waiting for you to actually do something...

AngelaG

you do have some points here, its not very good to meet strength with strength. parrying and avoiding attacks works well, now, mix them.

avoid the punch, and parry with the block- thjis gives you enough time for a follow up- instead of just blocking to follow with an attacker ready to hit again.

just a thought, dont take my word for it...(maybe I should explain it better some other time)

totally agree Angela,

however a block can also be a block (if you dont move, or react quickly enough) - it stops you getting hit!

When training this I always use the double bone block and 'strike' the attacking limb, hard. Its surprisingly effective even against stronger opponents but is a desperate measure, but reality can be desperate.

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org