• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocks,are they blocks to you?

Bunkai

Do you believe that blocks are actually blocks hitting arm to arm,leg,or object? Or, Do you have deeper applications for them?

I've heard instructors say that rising blocks block overhead swings and low blocks block kicks etc. Do you believe in thee applications?

Nidan-Goju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All blocks are strikes....all strikes are blocks.

8)

Is that it? So,you're saying that a block should be used forcefully for a strike? Blocks are hitting?Don't you have deeper true combat or grappling applications? Thanks for reply! :karate:

For example: Let's take gedan barai,usually performed in shiko-dachi with other hand in chamber.Bunkai?

Nidan-Goju

Well. You certainly like to ask leading questions, don't you?

To answer your question: yes, I believe there is more to a block than just a "block".

The most common bunkai I have for a gedan barai is a throw (more of a takedown really...I don't like to let go) and/or elbow destruction.

There are many types of throws to list from this action, whether it be more of an arm bar or a precursor to wrapping around the arm to work on the shoulder, etc.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

All you have to do is grab something with one of the hands while making the blocking motion and you will find they work pretty darn good as locks, take downs, and throws. But this is true of many techniques, even punches. Often you don't even have to grab, just simply be aware of what you are moving where. Check out this post:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=17353

Blocks and strikes are just labels we use to talk about the primary function of a movement. In kata movement is movement. A sound structure/motion can be used to strike, block, lock up, take down, or do whatever needs to be done to whatever opportune target may present itself.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Blocks can just be blocks...but they can also be used for strikes, locks, throws, take-downs, destructions, even PPs, plus many other applications. Sometimes a block may just be a block - but there's usually more to a technique than what first appears.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Blocks can just be blocks...but they can also be used for strikes, locks, throws, take-downs, destructions, even PPs, plus many other applications. Sometimes a block may just be a block - but there's usually more to a technique than what first appears.

Good answer !

never give up !

One must not only use enough force when blocking to stop the attack but also to affect maximum damage to the offending appendage thus ending the confrontation in one strike/block. Defense becomes offense, offense becomes defense. Hidden applications of any block/strike include throws, joint locks, sweeps, etc., gedan barai being one that emcompasses all these options.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Darn, ninjanurse stole my answer.

Every block is a strike, every strike is a block.

I'll just restate it.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker