• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Give me the best strategy you've used

I will be competing at a tournament tomorrow and I would like to hear your last minute tips for sparring.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Raise the rear legs knee to the lead (as if to perform a knee) and couple this action with sliding motion towards the opponent. Then, after sliding towards your opponent, plant the foot for that same kneeing leg onto the floor (so that this foot becomes the lead), and perform using your rear foot an Ushiro Mawashi Geri or a spinning Ushiro Geri. The function of raising the knee serves as a feint to trick the opponent into lowering the guard to the lower torso, and the sliding motion helps close the distance between you and your opponent. The use of the raised knee also allows you to perform a thrusting kick should the opponent try to retaliate mid sequence.

Whilst performing this entire motion, it also helps if you use a powerful Kiai from the start you raise the knee.

Leave some distance between you and your opponent to be able to generate enough power for the kick. If in close, use the spinning back kick and if further away, use the back roundhouse kick. This will depend on your height as well, so timing and distance will vary.

Have fun most of all.

I'm not familiar with Shotokan sparring, I have read that it is non-continous, so I have only written on how to set up one strike.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 10 months later...

my best strategey is muay thai

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

Reveal my strategy? That's totally against Paragraph 19 section 3 of the Rules of Engagement.

Just kidding... how did the tournament go?

my best strategey is muay thai

Hey dude... I'm sure any Shotokon tournament would allow a swift elbow across the jaw. I'm sure a few knee strikes from a clinch as well. Why didn't I think of that before? :P

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 5 weeks later...

It's about the energy. About focusing on a single point in time.

It's simple. Observe your opponent.

Attack him. Learn to exploit his weakness.

First courage, second power, and then technique.

I will be competing at a tournament tomorrow and I would like to hear your last minute tips for sparring.

Hit him before he hits you.

Okay, guess you already thought of that. Hope you did well in your tournament. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 2 months later...