• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do YOU take to a tournament?

I'm planning on bringing snacks, sandwiches, etc. WATER, bandaids and some ice packs, what else should I be bringing? It's our first tournament and our 3 kids are competing also so I want to be prepared...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a tournament , i only bring my courage ( most important ) and the GI

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I bring snacks, water/gatorade, extra changes of clothes(you never know), sparring gear/uniform, first aid supplies such as you listed.

that's about it. I usually look like I'm moving in the place, but that's ok...I have something if I need it.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Good ideas so far. When I compete in tournaments, my gear bag has the following:

Gi

Obi

Extra Gi, just in case

Protective gear (hand pads, foot pads, shin guards, mouth piece, cup and supporter)

First aid kit

Sportscream or Aspercream

Cold packs

Bottle of Advil Liquigels (fastest acting, and anti-inflammatory)

Bottled water

Chocolate bars

Carbboom gel (much better than anything else)

Bananas

Pens

Notebook

Some money (never know when you might need it, especially if you want to grab a few cold ones after the tourney)

Some people have affectionately nicknamed my gear bag the "ultimate bag of tricks," since it's helped a lot of folks, including those suffering from cramps (Aspercream, water and bananas), those suffering from general hunger (chocolate bars and Carbboom), judges who find themselves short of writing utensils, the bruised and battered (Cold packs, Advil liquigels), and even those who accidentally cut themselves with their katana during sword kata.

I haven't competed in a couple (5 or more) years, but when i did, i carried the bare necessities: Gi, belt, equipment, under shirt, change of clothes and socks, $10 for snack bar, $100 for bribing the judges(haha), deoderant(very important if you plan to go eat afterwards) and somtimes a hand target for warming up and working with my students.

Some people carried everything that they ever trained with: corner man, heavy bag, nordik trac, a suitcase full of clothes, several practice weapons (even if they weren't competing in weapons), headbands, defibrillater, a different gi and belt for every division they are competing in, cameras/camcorders, a bag for trophies, thermal blankets, flashlights, dehydrated food, a backup generator, trophies from their last tournament... well you get the point.

Just go prepared for what you expect. It's better to take too much stuff and leave it in the car than to have to ask someone else that brought it.

I'd have to agree with all the posts above (Great! Now I have nothing to say! Thanks a lot everyone! :lol:)

One must-bring item would be any sort of first-aid item (bandages, athletic tape, etc.)... and naturally, the one item I have forgotten at both of my tournaments (blisters really really hurt the 5th time you run your kata over them :bawling: )

Grenadier mentioned something about a banana. A very good call... if I am not mistaken, is it the potassium in bananas help your muscles from cramping?? If not... oh well, they taste good and help fill your stomach a bit :D

$100 for bribing the judges
Ahh! No wonder I never win at tournaments! :lol:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Take lots and lots and lots of water.

The last tourney I went to I ended up collapsing from heatstroke :o because it was too hot in the venue (too many people in too small a space + a rare hot day in the UK = recipe for disaster).

I usually take with me:

• gi & obi

sparring gear

weapon if I'm doind weapons form

first aid kit with Kool Pak, bandages, tape, paracetamol, scissors, wound wash, dressings, cotton buds, plasters, safety pins, etc etc

plenty of water

some snacks (bananas, sultanas, chocolate, crisps)

money

change of underwear and spare socks

deodourant

shower gel & towel if I know there's gonna be a shower at the venue

camera

a book or magazine

mobile phone

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I usually take my truck to tournaments,

But as far as equipment, everyone hit on the essientials. Good job guys.

Let me just emphasis that since you are bringing your kids to compete focus on what their needs might be. A tournament can be a long drawn out thing for kids, who by nature have short attention span and want to stay active, So the extra gui (dobak, uniform) would be nice in case the kids go around sliding on the floor or climbing the bleechers and get their uniform dirty or torn.

You might want to bring something to occupy their time and attention. I've brought coloring books, gameboys, or what ever I knew would keep them out of trouble. But remember, the other kids will want what ever you bring your kids, so if possible bring extras.

Bring a sense of humor, good sportmanship, patience, and encouragement.

Enjoy!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Grenadier mentioned something about a banana. A very good call... if I am not mistaken, is it the potassium in bananas help your muscles from cramping?? If not... oh well, they taste good and help fill your stomach a bit :D

Yup. One of the best all-around foods, since you get some quick energy needed, as well as some valuable nutrients, including the potassium. Also, they're not too sweet, so many folks who can't stand the really sweet stuff, can still enjoy a banana. They're easy for the body to digest, and it takes very little time to ingest one.

Finally, everyone needs fiber.

i travel in my normal clothes and in my bag i take

my trousers

club tshirt

boxing gloves

wraps

kick boots

focous pads

skipping rope (these 2 for warming up)

tape (because i alway hurt my big toe after wearing the kickboots and need to tape it to my next toe)

shin pads

cup

money

food and drink

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.