• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hopefully we can get an answer from someone thats done both. From the little of each art I've been exposed to though it seems like the following are some differences.

JJJ= Japanese Ju Jitsu...BJJ=Brazilian Ju Jitsu

JJJ tends to be mostly stand up, BJJ tends to favor being on the ground

JJJ has alot of small joint manipulation, BJJ tends to go for just the larger joints

JJJ uses some limited pressure points, BJJ does not tend to rely on pressure points.

JJJ was developed specifically as a self defense art for police officers in feudel Japan and for samurai who had lost their weapons, BJJ developed out of more of the sporting aspects of Judo.

Long Live the Fighters!

Depending on the school the training methods are not that different. One does randori the other does sparring. They are both good for different areas of fighting. JJJ teaches weapons and is more complete as a system and BJJ specializes in ground-fighting. BJJ definitely has a more anaerobic aspect to it that will help your physical conditioning more than JJJ. I have nothing bad to say about either of these styles. They each have their specific context in which they flourish. I hope that helps.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Would it not be worth it to train in both? I would think if you did, maybe add in Muay Thai, you'd get one hell of an art there.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

BJJ also introduced the gaurd, side mount, mount and other ground positions.

um, no it didint..those positions all exsisted in Judo prior to the creation of BJJ...the Gracies didint just make them up.

check out the book "Kodokan Judo" by the founder of Judo.

BJJ also introduced the gaurd, side mount, mount and other ground positions.

um, no it didint..those positions all exsisted in Judo prior to the creation of BJJ...the Gracies didint just make them up.

check out the book "Kodokan Judo" by the founder of Judo.

They didn't, because the closed guard should only be transitional in a real situation where a knife might come into play. Those wresting positions weren't too effective in battle, but they work great for a one on one no weapon fight. Judo and BJJ are sport arts and they do things that work for their given context. Most JJJ were taught to people who were going to fight in armor and so you had to move differently.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have trained both and I notice a big difference, but its all going to depend on the schools. The JJJ I trained focused on more stand up joint manipulation techniques leading to a takedown and a finishing move.

The BJJ I just currenlty started training covers more in depth on positioning and set up along with escapes while on the ground.

I think both are very good but the JJJ I trained I feel was incomplete due to the fact that it did not go as in deph on transitioning from one move to another while on the ground. But it works both ways because the BJJ does not cover the stand up portion as in deph as the JJJ I was training.

My whole post would basically be reversed if I had trained BJJ prior to JJJ hahahaha funny huh, they both work well together.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Judo and BJJ are sport arts

There are bjj schools that focus on self defense and street fighting not competition or sport jiu jitsu. Although most schools are competition oriented that dosent mean BJJ as a whole is a sport. It was not created as one like Judo.

Judo was not created as a sport art. Judo was developed as an upgrade of older jujitsu. It allowed it's practitioners to safely train realistically with full force as opposed to kata only training, fighting with armor, and weapons. Judo is the martial art to thank for the evolution of old into new.

Bjj came from judo in an attempt to nullify strength by pure technique alone and the ground logically takes away that advantage seeing as though a would be attaker would have no leverage on the ground thus allowing smaller people a better chance of beating someone bigger. But there are stand up techniques in BJJ. It was intended to purely be a combat art but is now begining to suffer the same fate as judo in becoming too sport oriented. Now that Helio has codified the core techniques of bjj in "Gracie jiu juitsu: the master text" it has officially become a dead art like judo.

When I say a dead art I mean as far as adding NEW techniques to the core curriculam. Certainly you will have variations of the techniques but the tried and true techniques are what will stand as canon much like the 67 throws and 29 grappling techniques of the kodokan.

I'm only going to ask you once...