• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got a question...

so long as you learn how to integrate them, and as has been mentioned before - swapping styles mid fight, can be really confusing for the opponent....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you develop fighting techniques which most people dont perfect, then change school- thats poor instruction for yourself...

at least reach black belt level to change from school......

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

also, like I said in the other topic.

you train in different schools and you stop caring too much about the art in the style- the philosophy.

then it becomes a fighting skill you learned, nothing more....

In my opinion, it is not enough for me.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

not really. if you choose to stop caring about the art or philosophy, that is your choice - it's not necessarily automatic.

However, fighting is fighting. Those things are actually unnecessary. Some people cherish them anyway, and others don't - different strokes for different folks.

depends on why you train - to fight? or for personal development?!!

so long asyou're getting what u want outfo the training then thats all that matters

depends on why you train - to fight? or for personal development?!!

so long asyou're getting what u want outfo the training then thats all that matters

i tottally second that. as long as your happy and getting what you want.

~ You first mistake is to underestimate ~

IMHO I would pick a BJJ school that teaches Vale Tudo. BJJ does teach self defense and isn't always about taking it to the ground. BJJ and Vale Tudo are one of the few arts that you are going live most of the time. Our Vale Tudo class trains us for MMA fights and realistic self defense. How many times have you seen two on one, we train for that and we go 90% no head gear just grappling gloves and mouth guard(we aren't beating the crap out of each other). I feel that you need to know what it feels like to get hit hard so when it does happen you don't panic. If you train like that, when the real thing (God forbid) happens you won't be out of you element. We have a Golden Gloves boxing teacher also. The Vale Tudo and Boxing helps with the stand up and the BJJ/submission fighting is our grouncd game. I feel our students are prepared for almost anything. I think this style of school would be great for what your looking for. I think that if you aren't used to getting hit when you do get hit you may freak out and panic and forget what you learned for that situation, so I am a huge fan of schools that aren't into just 50 punches now 50 kicks, it is different when there is someone in front of you with bad intentions. Schools that put you in real situations.

Josh Koscheck the human blanket

• 1 month later...

Man that's a toughy, from what you said both sound good. Personally, I'd suggest the one with the MMA influence, not just because they train cops or the other has a traditional side to it, but also because they do striking and grappling- stand up and ground. That's important in being a well rounded fighter. However, I would strongly suggest checking out both schools to see for yourself, sometimes the instructors are terrible, or even unskilled themselves, and that makes all the difference in the world.