• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got a question...

Within the next few months (once I finally find a buyer for my house and move) I'll be training in two schools, one that teaches Shindo jinen-ryu karate, boxing, and kickboxing (I e-mailed them for more info about their boxing/kickboxing styles. the owner said they had professional boxers/kickboxers training so it has to be decent). The other school is a MMA school teaching basically their own style of muay thai/kickboxing and bjj (they are of no organization) and train a lot of cops. My question is, if both of these schools are legit, which I'm only able to find out once I get out there, if I study mostly in just the styles offered at these schools will that be enough to learn effective street self defense if I apply myself enough to it and study long enough?

And so you all can add this in to your determination, a little over an hour from me in portland, you can name any art, and most likely there will be a school there that teaches that art. Reason I'm looking more into the schools I mentioned is because they're under 20 minutes from the locations my parents chose to live in. But, if I can't learn self defense from the options given to me at my new location I'll be willing to drive up an hour 2-4 times a week for lessons.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to learn how to protect yourself in a fight, go to the place that trains the police officers. Police generally have a low tolerance for goofy pointless-looking stuff. Plus you get to hang out with police and get some tips on how to better make yourself not have to fight.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Ok, nvm about this thread. After a hard time searching I've found two schools that teach shorin ryu (one of them matsubayashi), another one that teaches chuan fu kajukenbo, and one of the shorin ryu schools also teaches urufu by an impressive looking teacher (though still could be fake... whitwwolfmartialarts.net ). So, I just need to choose between these arts.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

"... will that be enough to learn effective street self defense if I apply myself enough to it and study long enough?"

from your question I see you are specifically wanting to learn effective methods for Street Self Defence. That's good - here we have a very specific APPLICATION for martial arts training that you are asking about.

Do all martial arts training prepare a student for street self defence? IMHO that answer is no. Some systems and training methodologies are better suited for that application than other systems and their training methodologies.

You will have to see for yourself which school trains best for the street application. Pls keep in mind that for training on the streets OF TODAY, I look for a number of things for the school to address:

- no rules. There is no room for rules on the street.

- aggressiveness, conditioning, and technique SPECIFICALLY designed for street self defence

- modern scenario training. High intensity mock drills where you (the good guy) are going about your business (withdrawing $ from an ATM, taking a piss at the urinal, renting a movie at the local video store, etc) and a BG assaults you WITHOUT warning.

- weapons training. To sincerely train students for the threats of today's streets a system MUST address weapons. No one fights fair. Rarely does anyone fight alone. And rarely does anyone fight without some type of equalizer (ie. weapon) which gives them a tactical advantage.

- multiple assailants training. A good school wont tell you they can make you Segal! Rather they will tell you to RUN at the first opportunity, and if you cant get away, they shoudl go over tactics for addressing more than one adversary simultaneously.

There are certainly more issues that need to be addressed, but these IMHO are some of the key issues I always advise my friends to look for when shopping around for a place to train.

Good luck with your search - continue with your high regard for self and only settle for the best!

Be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

CQB- very informative post! I wish I were training in your school... o well, I believe I've found which school I'm training in. There's 3 schools (possibly 4 if the guy ever calls me back) that I have been seriously looking into, A Kajukenbo school (he proved his lineage back to emperado and is very impressive, and I've wanted to take kajukenbo for a while now so here's my chance..) a MMA school for modern fighting and conditioning. And a matsubayashi shorin ryu school for pure traditional training. I'll be having shorin ryu as my main art to advance in as much as possible with kajukenbo and mma on the side (though getting only just a little bit less attention then shorin). I'm psyched now, can't wait to move!

Joshua Brehm

I'm sorry MTboxer, but I really have no idea what you said.. or more like mean't, could you reword it? or use punctuation?

Joshua Brehm

CK: tks for the compliments re: training at our school. You would be more than welcome there!

I can appreciate what you are going through, deciding which school to train at. It's kind of exciting, researching schools - I enjoy that part of the journey, as I always learn a lot about not only the schools themselves, but also myself.

I'm glad you know what you are looking for in the first place - that makes your research that much easier to conduct. There are many great schools out there that will more than meet our high demands - we just have to FIND them, which can sometimes be tricky, with all the bad schools out there that masquerade as good schools. So do your research, watch actual classes, do the free-trial classes, talk to the students & other instructors, and ask lots of questions. Dont rush into signing up until you feel comfortable with what you have learned.

FYI - I think MTboxer meant to say he thinks you should train with teh school that "coaches pro fighters". :)

... and to answer your other question, I reside in Richmond, BC.

be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

If I was you I would check out both of the schools you listed and possible some other schools in the area and pick just one school to train at. I believe it is best not to overwelm yourself with to much even for the experienced learning something new and different can be a long road and trying to learn to much at once can take away from how you benifit.

Just my opinion on this

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!