• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does the stripe go on the right or left?

Well we wear ours left over right because the origins of our MA says that right over left means death. A fight to the death rather.

I guess it's a matter of the origins ect.

Needing to focus...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on ours just because everything is done on the right for some reason - generally because it signifies strength [but weirdly enough also aggression]..... i think.

We wear our stripes on the right side, because the tag on the belt is on the left side. The most we have are 3 stripes.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

In my dojo, we never wore stripes. My Instructor thought they were only for bragging; you shouldn't have to display your rank after Black Belt. The dojo was part of a much larger organization, however, that had nothing to do with Martial Arts. The higher-ups decided that they wanted all of the Black Belts to start wearing stripes to 'show off' a little more, especially at tournaments. So the rule changed to, if you're going to a tournament or if someone from the organization comes in, we were to wear a crisp, new belt with red electrical tape stripes on it. Otherwise, for everyday training, we wore a plain belt.

In my Moo Duk Kwon Tae Kwon Do dojang, after passing each Dan test, the Instructor paid to have your belt embroidered with another yellow stripe, so it was disrespectful to not wear the stripes.

In both classes, the stripes went on the left.

I guess within your own school every knows what rank everyone else it. However displaying rank does have its upside - it allows you to see who is your senior and who you should be able to seek advice from (i.e. at a meeting between several schools, at a tournament or demo).

But other than that i dont really see any reason to wear stripes