• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does the stripe go on the right or left?

There are some of us at our dojang that wear our stripes on the left. One of our instructors, Mr C, commented one day, while putting my stripe on, that he likes putting the stripes on the left. So I've been wearing them on the left since then. I don't know if it's an actual rule, but it kind of rubbed off on others as well.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well in the american kenpo school im going to the kids get 4 stripes on each side when their ready to test for their next belt and the adults get one stripe on each side but if your a black belt in another style then u can wear your blackbelt but the stripes will go on the right side and the left just blank

the kids get 4 stripes on each side when their ready to test for their next belt and the adults get one stripe on each side but if your a black belt in another style then u can wear your blackbelt but the stripes will go on the right side and the left just blank

Wow. Where the heck do you train? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that I've never heard of it done that way.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

i trained in madera california my instructor is prof. sasha williams ya we been doing that for years so basically stripe go on both sides for us

Cool. Just haven't heard of four stripes before. Sounds rad, though...more stripes looks cooler.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

We only have Dan stripes.... not stripes in the colour grades [ well there are stripes but they go all teh way around the belt ].

And we have the dan stripes on both sides, but if you do have it only on one [which some of the older 4 / 5 dans do] its meant to be your right.

the kids get 4 stripes on each side when their ready to test for their next belt and the adults get one stripe on each side but if your a black belt in another style then u can wear your blackbelt but the stripes will go on the right side and the left just blank

Wow. Where the heck do you train? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that I've never heard of it done that way.

I have trained at two schools now that use a "stripe" system for colored belts. Basically it is just a convenient way for the instructor to know where each student is at in their belt level curriculum as they have to demonstrate a certain level of proficiency to get each stripe. Classes can be split easily based on who needs to learn what for the next stripe. It helps to keep kids on track too..no stripes, no promotion!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Ah right - ninjanurse we do use something similar for the kids class - intermediate grades, we dont charge them or anything, just do spot tests every so often to check on syllabus progress.