rivergirl

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, there is no point in not doing it.

"To win without fighting is best"-Sun Tzu

There are only two girls--me and another girl named Mack. But, yes, I spar against some boys. It's not useful to spar against one person forever. You really don't learn about how others fight as well.

"Karate is about discipline and the first discipline is showing up for class." ~ Carter-sensei

women always spar with men in our dojo it is more realistic men are generally stronger and heavier so it gives experience working with such an oponent should you come up against one in a real situation

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 5 weeks later...
Just wondering if it's normal for the women to spar with men, I've only been in karate for a few months, and the only other woman in the dojo is my sil. We were practicing last week and I ended up going against a male black belt and a male green belt and being injured in the process. I just wanted to know if it's an accepted thing for women to spar with men in most clubs.

It is considered SOP that women and men spar each other, since usually there are not enough women in a karate club for they and the men to avoid each other. Also, a lot of instructor's feel that the self-defense aspect requires that you be able to face a man.

However, it was never SOP in my karate club that women be injured because they sparred men. Injuries mean someone goofed somewhere, and some apologies and corrective action would be expected.

Caveat: bruises are not "injuries" in a karate club. Anything that bleeds, bones that are broken, joints that are messed up, torn muscles - those are injuries. Bruises are "badges of honor." They are inevitable and cannot be avoided.

Just wondering if it's normal for the women to spar with men, I've only been in karate for a few months, and the only other woman in the dojo is my sil. We were practicing last week and I ended up going against a male black belt and a male green belt and being injured in the process. I just wanted to know if it's an accepted thing for women to spar with men in most clubs.

It is considered SOP that women and men spar each other, since usually there are not enough women in a karate club for they and the men to avoid each other. Also, a lot of instructor's feel that the self-defense aspect requires that you be able to face a man.

However, it was never SOP in my karate club that women be injured because they sparred men. Injuries mean someone goofed somewhere, and some apologies and corrective action would be expected.

Caveat: bruises are not "injuries" in a karate club. Anything that bleeds, bones that are broken, joints that are messed up, torn muscles - those are injuries. Bruises are "badges of honor." They are inevitable and cannot be avoided.

I agree, it is stupid that women dont spar men in some classes anyway, its pointless cause there are a lot of things that they can learn from sparring men

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I agree, it is stupid that women dont spar men in some classes anyway, its pointless cause there are a lot of things that they can learn from sparring men

Caveat: While training in Japan, I observed that it was SOP that the women rarely sparred the men, and when they did, it was very typical that there were injuries. In fact, our instructors used to go to great lengths to avoid us pairing off with each other. We would, and then they would reorganize everyone so that women only trained with women. But the Japanese do not place as heavy an emphasis on the self-defense component as we do, I believe, partly because they think they live in a virtually crime-free society.