• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do women spar with men in your dojo?

rivergirl

in my dojang for TKD it is pretty random who spars w/ who. the parnters are usually selected by the master. it is usually determined by height. co-ed sparring really isn't a big deal

Destroy all that is evil, so that all that is good may flourish.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep preety regular. If you think that's bad imaginebeing a 15 year old Guy okay. Now Imagine you sparring with the next to top blackbelt of your school. KNowing that if you hit her anywhere below the waist, he'lll do the same thing to you.

Yah I think my sensei only did that to work on my kicks being higher but still, the thought of that scared me to death.

XD

But yes, segrigation here would be totaly uncalled for in my honest opinion.

Needing to focus...

I spar for the majority of time with men because i'm my dojo there're lack of women. Ive no problem with that though, i'm a tomboy-ish girl. :karate:

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

Yep preety regular. If you think that's bad imaginebeing a 15 year old Guy okay. Now Imagine you sparring with the next to top blackbelt of your school. KNowing that if you hit her anywhere below the waist, he'lll do the same thing to you.

Yah I think my sensei only did that to work on my kicks being higher but still, the thought of that scared me to death.

XD

But yes, segrigation here would be totaly uncalled for in my honest opinion.

Nah, you see, Blackbelts are taught to hold back, I mean, I'm a white belt and once contact-sparred with a 2nd dan, and no real harm was done.

anybody who is halfway decent at sparring should realise that in a class situation you come down to the level of the lowest opponent. Everyone knows that a 5th dan should be able to wipe the floor with a 10th kyu, but what does anyone learn from that? It is not about ego. The 5th dan needs to create artificial openings and slow it down so that the 10th kyu can learn to start looking for openings and making judgements. The 10th kyu will start learning the rudiments of sparring, and the 5th dan can work on control, distance, timing etc. That way everyone gains.

In the same way there should be no problems with mixed sex sparring. So what if a 6'2'' man can smash a 5'1'' woman to bits? This would prove nothing, other than the fact that he has no control. He needs to watch his control, and he'll probably find a smaller woman has different challenges as she will have different target areas and will probably be a lot more nimble. She will learn to confront an opponent larger than her, and again will face a new set of challenges.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Just wondering if it's normal for the women to spar with men, I've only been in karate for a few months, and the only other woman in the dojo is my sil. We were practicing last week and I ended up going against a male black belt and a male green belt and being injured in the process. I just wanted to know if it's an accepted thing for women to spar with men in most clubs.
men do spar with women because some women can be good so really its fair :karate: 8)

A.kelly

men do spar with women because some women can be good so really its fair :karate: 8)

only some?......... :roll:

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.