• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Remaining relaxed while sparring

Neko

Okay, granted I am a white belt. My Sensei tells me I need to relax, I am too tense when I spar. I have to agree too. My arms sometimes are hard to keep up because I am so tense.

So, here is the question. How do I relax when all I think about is what am I going to do next and out my whole self in this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In many karate styles and schools white belts do not spar. The students go through various types of fixed sparring before they come to free spar. Of course their training will include kihon and kata practise to create the abilities needed to eventually spar effectively.

This means that the students must first learn their basics and their applications. This in turn gives the students confidence and helps them RELAX more when they eventually have to spar.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I agree that a certain proficiency and familiarity with the techniques being used is required to really begin to relax. But since you are learning to swim by jumping directly into the deep end try breathing deeply in to your stomach, dropping your shoulders, focus on your target, and don't worry about getting hit. Don't watch the hands, watch the center of his chest. When you do move, move with full intent and work on only tensing the muscles necessary in the movement you are making. For example, when you punch only your triceps, pectoral, and hip muscles need tense, the rest of the arm, back, and shoulders needn’t tense up. The forearm only needs to be tense for the moment of impact. And once you are done with the punch none of these muscles need to be tense any more. If you practice these things eventually you will learn to relax and achieve greater effect with less effort.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Breathe...and don't think about your impending doom, or killing the other person with your strike. Just whip it out...if you can (and don't do this if you can't without getting the timing right - you'll break your hand), just keep your hand open until the last second. Speed, then power, that's my motto.

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Thank you everyone for your input. I will take into consideration what everyone has said and implement most.

As for my Sensei and his teachings, I can see your point of view of practice sparring in a very controlled environment and lots of kata. We do those also. My Sensei has made it clear that we are doing these things to prepare ourselves if we have to use it now. About the only person that has gotten hurt is me bruising my toe. No big deal. A little pain has never broken my spirit.

Thank you again.