• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first tournament--any advice?

All tournaments are great learning experiences, but none a much as that first one. So lets look at what are some things you should be learning there.

1. Learn the rules of competition and how to use them to your advantage.

2. You'll see that different schools teach slight variations in the way they do their forms. Different judges will like one style over the other. Don't worry about it, do your best and move on.

3. How to deal with stress.

4. How to pace your emotions and focus during the day while you are just sitting around waiting to compete.

5. How to properly warm up before competition.

6. Learn how to properly hydrate yourself and sustain your blood sugar level on competition day (what foods to snack on, how much, and when).

Learn how to compete against new friends you've just made,

7. Learn how to handle those crazy ones throwing everything in the book at you.

8. Learn that you need to bring your belt to the tournament (and a list of other pieces of equipment and uniform that always seem to get forgotten).

9. You'll see how you react to winning or losing. Then ask yourself "Is this how I think I should react? If not, what is the proper way to win or lose?"

10. Determine if you enjoyed this activity or not. If you did then good, keep on training and use what you have learned. If you did not then why? What can you do to make it more enjoyable? If what caused you not to enjoy it is beyond your control ask yourself is this a challenge to yourself to be able to participate in something you like but has aspects you do not agree with or can control?

So good luck, learn, and have some fun!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Couple things that haven't been mentioned-

1) Clean and iron your dobok (Gi, whatever your term is). It may not seem like much, but all the little extra things that say "I tried my best" help. (Also, if you have a lightweight dobok, spray starch can help you get that "pop" sound on your techniques)

2) Make sure you have everything you need laid out and/or packed the NIGHT BEFORE. Make a list and check it off. Yes, I've shown up for a black belt competition without my belt. I'd be willing to bet most of us here have done something like that. Make sure you include things like extra money, change of clothes, deodorant, etc.

3) DO NOTHING DIFFERENT ON THE DAY OF COMPETITION!! If you don't normally get up and eat a huge breakfast, don't get up and cram food down your throat. (Although do eat SOMETHING before the competition...hehehe). If you don't normally drink a gallon of water, don't. Don't eat new foods, don't spar in brand new gear, etc. Had one student have to drop out of a competition because he thought sucking on lollipops would help keep his energy up. His competition got delayed, he ate 11 lollipops and ended up with stomach cramps.

4) Make sure you know what time your competition starts, and listen for any changes. That way you don't warm up too far in advance, or get caught without time to warm up.

5) HAVE FUN!! :D If you forget your form, turn the wrong way, fall on your face sparring, whatever, don't worry about it. Everyone here has done that at least once. (And those that haven't are lying. :D) My first time at Nationals for the ATA, I did my entire form backwards, and that was about my 40th TKD competition. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Also, something I forgot to mention, show good Moo Do, or martial discipline. If you forget your form, show good humility, bow to the judges. Anytime you step into the ring, bow. Anytime you are walking away from judges, walk backwards.

These are little things that may seem extreme, everyone probably doesn't do it all or all the time, but it just makes you look better and also hones discipline.

Just a quick note on ITF style sparring - the majority of points are usually scored through counter attack rather than offense :D

Other than that, just get used to following through in sparring, nad keeping a flow of techniques goign if you do attack.