• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stupid question...

Kenpo man

Full contact sparring!

Does this mean you do not use gloves or padded protection of any kind (Other than a cup) while sparring, and that you go all out?

Or does it mean that you wear your padded protection, but go all out?

Thanks for answering my stupid question folks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Usually, you wear all the safety stuff but you can hit harder and have a little more room to try things out....you still can not strike knees, groin, spine, etc; (at least in my dojo)

Hope this helps :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

At my dojo, we separate full speed, full power, and full contact. Because of safety reasons, we (obviously) can never be doing all 3 at once.

We call it full contact when all techniques are allowed - all punches, all kicks, throws, locks, etc. - anything you can think of. We start out wearing punches, kicks, cup, head gear, and mouthguard. The black belts just wear cup and mouthguard.

We practice full power only under very controlled conditions, and even then not for very long periods of time (yet). Both parties know what techniques are going to be used. Even if you're supposed to tap out, you can only have your shoulder wrenched so many times before the darn thing just aches all night. I am just starting to get into full power curriculum. Even block a full power reverse punch with a full power shuto is a wake up call for both aggressor and defender. A lot of trust. On unblocked techniques, you're not supposed to make contact, but I've seen it happen, and it isn't always pretty. When working bunkai, some BB's do full power kata. That's pretty nifty to watch.

Finally, we do most things full speed, wheter full power or full contact. Start slow and build.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Traditionally full contact means full gear. That includes gloves, chest, leg, and groin protectors along with full head gear that looks a lot like kendo armor. But when we say "full contact" we mean full contact. The only control is that you can't kick to the knee. Everything else is game. That includes full power punches, elbows, kicks, knees, grabing, throws, takedowns, locks, punching on the ground, the works. Still not the same as a real fight, but you'll learn how to give and take a hit.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Full contact for us just means knuckle pads, cup, sometimes mouthpiece, and "full contact" (hit hard)

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Full contact for us just means knuckle pads, cup, sometimes mouthpiece, and "full contact" (hit hard)

Even if there is no contact to the head/face, I'd make sure to wear my mouthpiece all the time, cuz the dental bills just be outrageous, not to mention all the other associated factors of taking a good shot to the chops :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia