• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How seriously do you take your martial arts ettiquette?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How seriously do you take your martial arts ettiquette?

• I live for it
    • It is important, but I don't take it too far
    • Dude, what ettiquette?

I think that appropriate ettiquette is important, but in some cases it can be carried to extremes.

Case in point:

Saying "Yes Sir/Ma'am", now normally this is one of the most polite things that a person can say to another, whether it is junior to senior or vise versa, but, I trained at a school one time where it was so ingrained to shout "yes sir!" everytime the instructor said something that it was actually hampering the lesson. Whenever the instructor stopped speaking, the students would shout "yes sir!" It didn't matter if he asked a question or gave a command. Many times when they did this, it was in the middle of instruction and was actually disruptive. That is my reason for saying "don't take it too far"

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When we are in a Tae Kwon Do setting, we follow traditional etiquette. When we are out in public we follow Western manners. However, if we are in public but on Tae Kwon Do business, we will use etiquette but not get extremely caught up in it.

For example, if I meet my Master or another Instructor in a public place, we shake hands. In Rome, do as Romans do. We don't need awkward stares from people because we think we must bow. We bow in class or on TKD business.

When fellow judges and myself go out to dinner after a test, it is kind of 50/50 between traditional and western manners.

Some of the Instructors are more hardcore than others. I think for them it is more of an ego trip. They like being bowed to.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

Etiquette is good in the dojang because it creates a good atmosphere for training. We bow coming in and out of the dojang and I tell students it is a switch. Bowing in switches your brain on to training and bowing out is a signal to relax. Students bow to instructors as they come into class as an alternative to a greeting or a handshake, not as a sign of deference. All our instructors are addressed by their first names by all students. This makes it easier for students to question their instructors, which we insist on, and stops our instructors getting too big a head. All the other etiquette like bowing before sparring shaking hands after etc is for safety and to keep the atmosphere friendly. Everything outside the dojang is casual. First come first served.

• 1 month later...

To me I tend to blend etiquette and disciplin together. After all they do go hand in hand. When I began studying TKD I noticed not only do I hold doors open, which I did prior, but when walking past woman in the office I stand almost at atention as I say hello or other greetings to them. I also notice I call my chief and other elders SIRor MAAM and do it without even thinking.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

Respect is a good component in most martial arts, but it can be taken to silly extremes. In my karate dojo we bow to Sensei (and call him Sensei) but that's about it. Some karate schools that I've visited have so much bowing and what-have-you going on that students seem to spend more of their lesson bobbing up and down or saying "yes/osu Sensei" than actually doing any training...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is an important consideration. Ettiquette is a part of the tradition of the martial arts. I always call my instructor Master or Sir, but part of that probably has to do with the fact that I was only 9 when I began to train.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do