• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are you a lead leg fighter?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a lead leg fighter?

• Yes
    • No

I still don't know from what style this kick came from. I know that kyokushin brazilians do it, but is it just a brazilian thing?

Nope, not exclusively Brazilian. Whatever scores a knockdown will be adopted by everyone in the Kyokushin community.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say it crossed over from TKD competitors. We use the same kick in TKD, and another variation which at a Round Kick, but rather than swinging the leg forward (like a Front Kick) and then twisting the kick downward, we just swing the leg up at 45 degrees and the down, without the twisting motion.

I don't think it's a Brazilian thing as such. In Japan, the same technique is used by one competitor, Norichika Tsukamoto. He calls the kick "Maha Geri". I think the Brazilian kick is so-called because of it's preferred use by famous Brazilian fighters.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

I'll tell u this,it's point sparring/ light contact. In my school though, my sensei probably would say no because it's not in our curriculum.I've tried my punches from kickboxing and he told me to stay with karate.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Hm. Do you think thats a bit harsh....

http://www3.baylor.edu/BUKarate/articles/ForgottenPunches.html

...give than many boxing style punches can be found in Karate?

Yes, the tournament influence over Karate has caused the execution of such punches to be changed to favour speed and getting the point. But that doesn't change the fact that the punches were still locked into Karate's curriculum.

Perhaps you could find a away to snap your hooks, or drive/thrust your uppercuts forward into the body as opposed to swinging up.

On topic, a good way to use a Brazilian kick light contact is to use a light push kick, and then use your opponents torso to bound off and twist the kick up to tap your opponent. Think of your kick's path/trajectory as drawing out a question mark " ? " when it travels on it's way to the target.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

In Wing chun we have a pretty upright position with the body weight being more or less 60/40 (60 on the back leg), that is for combat, in training we are more like 90/10 to be sure we get strong legs to have good rooting even on one leg.

This allows the front leg to be very quick and unpredictable. We often use the leg to counter kicks so it has to come out very fast, no time to switch body weight. This also helps countering attacks to your lead leg. I don't think I would try a roundhouse with my lead though :s, but would gladly set it up with a nice little teep kick first from lead, then roundhouse from back. (we don't practice roundhouse in WC training anyway, I got that from previous "shaolin" training. But if you want strong roundhouses, check out Muay Thai's).

Punches come out quicker than kicks, and less risky. I agree with WC philosophy to keep kicks below waistline, knees are much more practical targets than faces.

[edit:] I wish I could take kickboxing, but WC punches are just so different than anything I've ever seen, it would totally mess me up :P .

Elbows accompanied with knees, and strikes to the vitals with plenty of throws or strike downs.

On occasion a frontkick or low kick.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...