• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot remember ever using a lead leg at close quarters. There is just not enough space of arc to deliver power. Unless of course you perform a skip step, where from the same stance, your lead is brought behind the rear leg. But by this time, you could have used your rear leg anyway.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

I guess it would depend on the objective of the fight. But it could be argued that speed really does give the edge. If F=ma, then it would be wise to train your speed and abiltiy to accelerate your kicking leg, and then muscle. More often than not, the kick you don't block is the kick you don't see. And the kick you don't see turns your lights out.

I use the lead leg to intercept an attack comming in.

However, if I'm trying to initiate contact, I use the rear leg.

You will get an additional 2-3 feet of distance closure when you use the rear leg kick, unless you like to skip or shuffle step in with the front leg.

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

lead leg kicking is great, but u need to mix it up. It's like punching with only your lead. It's just that u need to mix it up to not make it predictable

True. Which is why, despite having the capacity to knock an opponent out, Lead Kicks are mostly used for obtaining distance or testing the range.

• 2 months later...

Actually, I've always kicked the same with my left and right. I don't really have a preference. I supose this is a good thing.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant