• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are you a lead leg fighter?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a lead leg fighter?

• Yes
    • No

Being a practitioner of TKD I primarily deal w/ kicking. I've seen a few different approaches to sparring but very few outside of my school seem to apply lead leg fighting. I'm curious as to what the people in this forum think of this technique and how often they use it.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er, what do you mean by 'lead leg' exactly? Just trying to figure out if it even applies to me, since we work from a parallel pattern instead of a sideways fixed stance.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

lead leg fighting is often done from a more upright stance rather than the usually seen stance w/ the legs far apart and a low center like in a horse stance. From this stance little or no weight is on the lead leg so that a side kick can be thrown w/ minimal shift/warning. This also allows a much faster kick for either defensive or offensive maneuvers.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

do you mean like a TKD backstance?

If so, im not a big fan of them. They may work for some people, but for me, im more of a 50/50 weight distribution and a very rooted stance.

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

guys who are lead leg fighters tend to be stand taller, they keep their weight about 55/45 back front, so they can snap a kick out with their front leg quickly and effectively. They usually tend to be taller individuals with long legs. This is good for point fighting, and I have seen a few who possess a great amount of explosive power with their lead leg, but it's mostly for speed. It can have its advantages and disadvantages.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I prefer to use the lead leg, although my subumnim doesnt really approve as he says it makes me predictable. So he says I should use my rear leg. But does that not also make me predictable? The only difference I have seen so far is that rear leg attacks seem to reveal more of the torso and open up the guard. I also tend to utilise some footwork from fencing, which also favours the use of the lead leg. I find the best lead leg kicks are:

Lead Hook Kick

Lead Side Kick (thrusting and snapping)

Lead Pushing Kick

Lead Crocodile Kick

Lead Rising Ax Kick

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

So he says I should use my rear leg. But does that not also make me predictable? The only difference I have seen so far is that rear leg attacks seem to reveal more of the torso and open up the guard.

I'm impressed w/ your own insite to the pluses and minuse of the kicks. The fact that a kick comes off the back leg does open you up and they take longer, hence the reason our class has such a high emphasis lead leg kicks which done right are fast and much harder to see coming.

I find the best lead leg kicks are:

Lead Hook Kick

Lead Side Kick (thrusting and snapping)

Lead Pushing Kick

Lead Crocodile Kick

Lead Rising Ax Kick

OK, so what's a "Crocodile Kick" ?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes