• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Purple belt???

Neddo

Could you explain me...

In my karate club and in every karate club that I know there are:

White belt (beginner), Yellow (5 kyu), Orange (4 kyu), Green (3 kyu), Blue (2 kyu), Brown (1 kyu), Black (1 DAN ++)...

Purple is...where... :-?

https://www.crazyneddo.tk - Karate,katas,informations...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All systems are different Neddo. My shotokan school never had an orange belt or a purple belt but the school across town had a purple belt just before blue. To each his own I guess!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Different strokes for different folks.

In Shotokan and my previous style, purple belt was given at yon kyu (4th kyu). Such students attended the advanced classes.

In my current style, purple belt is given at ro kyu (6th kyu). Such students attend the intermediate classes.

yeah purple is pretty unusual for me too. i think the colors dont matter anyway, they change everywhere.

where im from in shotokan its always white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black, but in your school its seems like you stay white for a pretty long time.

the only thing many arts have in common is just brown before black.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

All systems are different Neddo. My shotokan school never had an orange belt or a purple belt but the school across town had a purple belt just before blue.

Yep :) My school has orange and purple :P but no blue... It all depends on where you are... to each their own, I guess. :karate:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Well, I'm a purple belt myself. Just passed my grading, so that makes me a 2nd degree purple. From what I've found, most Shotokan dojos use this scheme:

white > yellow > orange > green > blue > purple > brown (x3)

Where as at my dojo, our Sensei decided to drop the blue belt, and replace it with purple, so it goes like this:

white > yellow > orange > green > purple (x2) > brown (x3)

Like the others have said, every dojo is different. Altogether we have 9 kyu ranks. I personally like the double purple belt, because it makes a lot of sense. In the lower ranks it is much easier to see the difference in ranks, as you go up in ranks, your progress slows, as you refine your techniques. Just look at the Dan ranks, notice how as you go up in them, the time requirements increase greatly? Same idea...

Its sad that a standard cant be made for the colour belt systems. It can be confusing when you go to seminars. Its hard to find your place in line when you see people running around in belts that dont "exist" in your dojo.

in "general" white, yellow, orange are the beginner levels

blue, green, purple.......and the new camoflague that i just saw this week at a school are in the intermediate category

brown and red are in the advanced

then you have your black belts....

granted this is only a generalization, I have sparred blue belts when i was in the beginner level at tournies and blue in intermediate and blue in advanced....some schools have a different standard. some have green before blue, blue before green, blue before orange, purple before green, green after purple and so forth....some styles dont have brown instead they have red....or vice versa....and some have both, others have belts with stripes on them ....say for instance white on top, yellow in the middle, and white on bottom, the top and bottom show what level you are at, but the middle level shows that you are closer to attaining that given color than someone of a solid color....it can be confusing......

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

In our school it goes:

Orange

Green

Blue

Purple

Brown

Brown with black stripe

Black

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing