• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Absolutely- The general consensus is that with 6 months of training, you have enough of the tools to take someone down, achieve a dominant position, and finish the fight with a submission hold.

You'd be surprised how far just a few moves could go.

My friend has done many martial arts, finally deciding on BJJ. He used to go around with the Gracies helping out for seminars. You'd be surprised how many people think they cant be taken to the ground. One instance had a guy take his sweats off half way through the seminar, showing a karate black belt with numerous stripes on it while he said "thats all great, but how are you going to get me to the ground?"

My friend got a little excited- this was pre UFC days and he'd never seen Royce fight, so he couldnt wait to see what he (Royce) would do to the guy.

Without hesitation, I believe it was Rorion who said "thats not a problem" and pointed to my friend and said "take him down." His jaw dropped, and he was nervous (hed only been training about 5-6 months) but they told him just to use his wrestling (he had been a collegiate wrestler prior to BJJ). As the first kick was thrown, my friend grabbed the leg, stepped in, and slammed the guy to the mat.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt