• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi hows everyone doing? Anyways to get str8 to the point im going to begin BJJ soon and was wondering how the BJJ belt system is set up? What is the order of the belts? I guess its pretty much standard since its so dependant on the individuals technical skills, so that kind of prevents the criss-crossing of colors and ranks that happens in other arts. Please just share some knowledge with a newbie,

Kev

Alexis I can't wait to hold you for the first time 7/10/05 your only a few weeks away.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

White

blue

purple

brown

black

then there is red for people who have been doing BJJ for longer than most of us have been alive.

On average (I know that everyone is different, but still...) how long does it take to progress between belts in BJJ?

Also, is competition fighting a requirement for belt progression?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

blue belt usually take atleast a year to get Black belt usually takes about 10 years obviously people have done it faster and some much slower but that is the average.

Competition isint necesary but it will speed up your promotions in most cases because of your expereince, training and preperation as well as showing your instructor where you stand in your division.

bjj belt system goes white blue purple brown black. And it ussually takes long depending on your teacher...but it ussually takes quite some time to progress in belt color. It took me 3 years i think to get just to blue belt.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

I said this in another topic. My friend has trained for about 8 years and he is a purple belt in BJJ.

I have another friend who got his black belt in about the same number of years but he trained for hours a day, seven days a week.

What works works

Due to how long it takes to get to BB, I wonder what that says about the effectiveness of the art.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

In my opinion it shows that the art is genuine...and that you arent paying for your belts. I think it shows alot of disipline if you can train and dedicate yourself for many years so that you have earned your belt.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master

• 1 month later...

They dont hold the black belt off for that long because they want people to "earn" it- its quite simply how long it takes to become that good at the style.

Take a collegiate wrestler for instance, who's got all those years of middle school, high school, and college under his belt.

On average, I would say 6 months to 2 years to get blue belt.

4 1/2 to 6 1/2 years (total training time) to get purple.

about 7 1/2 -9 years to get brown.

8-12 years to get black .

I think those sound about right, the belt typically held the longest is the purple belt (I guess thats the first non-newbie belt, your first step off the bottom of the food chain). Its also said that 90% of all the people who train BJJ never reach the purple belt level (they quit, never stay consistent with their training, etc etc).

Theres a guy I train with now (hasnt been there for awhile) and he started BJJ when my one instructor was a blue belt- hes been training for about 10-11 years now, and just got his purple belt a year ago.

Im just curious, at waht belt point do you think a person can defend himself effectively? if your a white belt training for a couple of months can you?

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.