• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 style sparring

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i think it depends on the situation. Obviously you have to "empty the cup" to learn again but it may benefit you to mix the two together. Pending on how different the styles are really. I go to 2 kickboxing schools and find going to 2 different guys allows me to stay just a fraction ahead of my peers as i always have another trick they havent seen yet.

Judge it as you see it as you will know the situation best

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"

My feelings and what I have heard my instructor tell people that have joined from other schools, don't forget what you have learned. Put more tools in your bag so you can handle a larger number of situations. Usually for sparring you can mix the two. However I wouldn't try something like throws or joint locks from judo during sparring in a TKD class though.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

lol nice post

i think mixing the two styles is a good idea, after all there are some cool things from styles that really help.

Fist visible Strike invisible

lol nice post

i think mixing the two styles is a good idea, after all there are some cool things from styles that really help.

I know it will help but I think my sensei might get mad even if the move is efective
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I would say use whatever works at the time it is necessary. If you were serious at the time you learned it, then your previous style is a part of you.

But do not do so to the point that you neglect what you are trying to learn now. If you are supposed to be working specific techniques, then you should do so. At our dojo, when working slow, we are only supposed to use what we have been or are currently being taught. It is practice, and everyone is supposed to be on the same level. When we do freestyle, anything goes. I have surprised several partners when no one expects a white belt to know any throws. Typically, you wouldn't start learning them until blue or purple belt. Some retained wrestling knowledge certainly helps.

If your sensai gets upset, that is a completely different problem. No one should get upset at an effective move, whether it is part of a given style or not. I don't know how you'd handle that.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Talk to your sensei, if he says you can use the techniques from your previous styles, then use them, if he says you need to work on only the techniques of goju-ryu, then use only goju ryu. If you want to spar using both styles and your sensei won't let you, just find some guys who want to spar with you outside the dojo using whatever techniques everyone knows.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Why wouldn't you use the techniques that work for you in sparring :-? Sure you want to work on new techniques, but at the same time I don't see the need to put away the other tecniques you've picked up from previous training. Afterall sparring is about putting all your basics together defensively and offensively :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

lol nice post

I know it will help but I think my sensei might get mad even if the move is efective

If your Sensei is traditional in teaching the disicpline of Goju-Ryu, he may want you to hone the skills that you are learning. It is not meant to take away from what you have already learned but to implement that what you are learning.

Our Great Father of Goju-Ryu, Miyagi Chojun, would not have practiced another style in front of his masters that taught him but implemented them together after he reached a mastery of them.