• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are there different styles of Judo?

I noticed that some of you practice Kotokan Judo and I also noticed in my town there is a Rikidokan Judo Club. Just wondering if there is any difference in the Judo besides the name?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

He he. Good question! I've often wondered that myself!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

theres kosen judo, which is found in schools mostly in Japan and focuses mainly in newaza, not many schools practice this style of judo owing to jigoro kano's emphasis on throwing techniques, which is moreless what olympic judo is today with limited groundwork

The best, most highly recognized, most authentic style of Judo is Kodokan Judo. The founder is Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo itself.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Maybe 'Rikidokan' is simply the name of the club rather than the name of the style?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have heard of Kosen Judo. To my knowledge, the martial art has more of a focuses on ground work.

Ted

Most of what you'll find is Kodokan Judo created by Jigoro Kano. Within Kodokan Judo you'll find dojo that study mainly throwing and other dojo study 50% ground work and 50% throwing. Where I train we have a 50/50 split.