• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right Sam, it is Joon Gun...and Kwang Gye. I still suspect there is more to the move. All the others are attacks, defences or locks. I've been told that the downward pressing block is to press down on the knee of a chambered front kick but I can't imagine what a simultaneous upward pressing block would do. Maybe you're right.

The move described sounds like the start of the form Shipsoo in our style. My Sabonihm has adapted it to a more practical movement where it mimics someone has grabbed your wrists and you roll them so that your hands and the attackers hands are in a sort of figure 4 and the rolling motion breaks their grip. Not entirely sure it's the same thing you're thinking of but if it is this is the closest I've heard to a practical application other than demonstration of breath and muscle tension control.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

The upward hand is a reaction arm - since you arent strikin in the normal direction - and the reaciton opposes the general direction of the move the reaction in this case must go upwards [more info on this read Vol. 3 of The Encyclopedia of TKD - or i could just post up a long description of it - but that would be really off topic].

Kwang Gae's pressing blocks arent SLOW, they're not full speed but they're faster than in Joon Gun.

Since you mentioned Kwang Gae - the reaction arm is the same theory as the reaction created in the doublel forearm block, low block combinations.

Won Hyo and Yul-Gok...

I learned those as a blue belt, back when the ATA still used the Chang-hon system of forms.

Both forms are beautiful when performed by someone who has learned them very well.

I enjoyed the red belt forms too... Chun-gun and Toi-Gye... and in practiced hands... they can be wonderful to watch too...

But I'll probably always have my affection for Won-Hyo and Yul-Gok... which are the first two forms that have the side kick incorporated within their patterns in the Chang-hon system.

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.

I always thought those 2 palm pressing blocks were in Joon Gun.... not Toi Gye.

if we are talking about hte same ones, apparently they're meant ot be used to demonstrate control over the movement, and develop the correct hand transitions from starting position to final position and all places in between.

Oh yeah... the pressing blocks.

Now when I was taught the form... it was what we'll call a 'tension' movement.

Basically speaking, you'd form the palm heels, one high, one low... tighten your muscles in your arms, and bring them down (and up), passing each other, until the arm's positions had swapped...(right up and left down... to left up and right down)... and so on and so forth.

The keys to the move, were breathing control...(You'd be amazed at how many folks think holding the breath is a great thing during that movement), and to concentrate simultaneously, on muscle tautness, AND timing... the move should be completed in roughly 4 to 5 seconds (IF you do it the way I was taught to... Now if you're taught differently... do as your instructor says)

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.

Yeah the movement is just about control, sliding the foot out into a low stance from walking - then the pull forward to the l stance guarding block.... meant to make the flow of the pattern slightly more advanced.

everyones waffling on about TKD and i feel a little left out....:(

in karate my fave is pinan godan, i like the way it flows....

in kung fu i like Kay Boon Sau Far and Jorn Sau. these are the first and second forms i ever learnt and i still enjoy them (and i am still learning from them even though i am now brown belt

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.