• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Suggestions for equipment in a tradditional dojo

Hey guys,

Im in a tradditional okinawan goju ryu dojo at my university. We have been given permission to spend about $500 on equipment, so i would like to have some suggestions. This is what i got so far:

- bo staffs. we dont train with bo just because we dont have enough

- fingerless gloves. for sparring competitions

- padded gloves

- headgears

Thats about it, we're pretty tradditional (i.e. no heavy bags etc..) but im quite sure i should have something else on my list. ideas?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

at least get kicking shields, maybe a makiwara or two

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

When it comes to handpads, footpads, shin guards, etc, the students should really provide for their own. This way, they are responsible for their own equipment. A dojo could lose significant amounts of $$$ if it provides for constant replacement of handpads (and such), since sometimes they'll break, other times, some students might accidentally (?) stick them in their bags, etc.

Buying some bo would actually be a good idea. If you're not going to do bo tai bo drills (bo on bo contact) on a regular basis, then the plain ash ones or even the red oak ones will do just fine. Such bo staffs are relatively cheap, and quickly available, and if you order a number of them at the same time, you can get a nice cheap shipping rate. You may also want to get some shorter bo for kids, just in case.

If you also do bokken in your kobudo training, then you can get some red oak bokken for a cheap cost as well, in the same manner as mentioned above. Again, red oak wood is relatively cheap, and not really appropriate for hard contact, but for kata work, or light contact drills, they'll do fine.

Other things you may want to consider:

As the above poster mentioned, target pads for kicks and punches would be nice, as would a large sized shield for kicking drills.

Buy some one inch diameter oak dowels and the rest of the stuff needed to make some chi shi weights.

The easy way is to put some nails into one end of the stick, pour the concrete into a coffe can, and let it dry. Once the concrete dries, you can paint the coffe cans.

The oak will be the most expensive part and they'll cost about $5 a piece to make.

Forget the gloves, headgear, and pads.....gotta have a makiwara, heavybags, chiish, nigiri game, etc; For cheap heavybags, buy army suplus duffle bags, fill with sand and their you go......The most important thing is good instruction....Good Luck :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

If you want a traditional goju dojo then it has got to be makiwara posts.

(but then what else could I say)

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

Makiwara is whats missing here .. i would go with kicking shields and the idea of filling an army bag with sand is both traditional and effective

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Makiwara is most important...A dojo without a makiwara is a dance studio. :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• 1 month later...

Heavy bags are freestanding bags definitely.

Kicking Pads. Maybe some arm/leg pads for sparring and demonstrations - but you should be ok for the time being.

Have your students pay youto purchase their equipment and you might make some money if you have a good vendor to buy from. GOod luck!

BullsEye

Serious Deals, No Bull!

https://www.bullseyefitness.com

=========================