• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long SHOULD it take for your black belt?

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to discuss how long it should take to get to black belt and what it should represent (in terms of skills, performance, etc).

Actually, the only accurate answer is: as long as it does take.

As an example: suppose I have two students, both with comparable physical skills. One of them is in the school every night and works out on weekends, etc. The other, due to prior committments, can only attend two classes per week and gets in some occasional weekend workout time. Both of them have an excellent attitude and are dedicated to the concept of Black Belt Excellence.

One would think that student #1 would achieve his rank first, and he probably would. However, he wouldn't get it too terribly much before the other student, because becoming a Black Belt is not just about punching and kicking and doing forms and sparring and breaking boards. There is an internal growth that needs to happen and until I see that growth within the student, I won't promote him.

As I have said many times: you don't earn the rank. The rank earns you. When you are ready to be a Black Belt of any degree, you'll be one and not before.

five years minimum in a hardcore full contact school otherwise the belt means nouthing. hate to be anti ATA agin but do the six year olds deserve a BB in a year?

I think you really need to get down off the anti-ATA soapbox.

As for the other... five years minimum in a hardcore full contact school? At the end of five years you would need that belt just to hold your body together.

As for six-year-old black belts... The ATA is not alone in this.

http://ksdi.net/wybb.htm

http://www.dhaliwal.in/fullstory2005-insight-news-status-2-newsID-1806.html

five years minimum in a hardcore full contact school otherwise the belt means nouthing. hate to be anti ATA agin but do the six year olds deserve a BB in a year?

No, and they don't get a black belt in a year in the ATA. If you're going to keep slamming an organization, at least get the facts correct.

3-7 years old is Tiny Tigers. Most (And there are some exceptions, which is one of the things I disagree with) schools implement tiny tigers to where they earn 1/2 rank each testing, and then when they get to be old enough to move up into the karate for kids classes (7-12), then they usually start a couple belts up (7th, maybe 6th gup). And, since we are on the subject, there are a lot of martial arts organizations that allow young kids (6-10 y/o) to get their confirmed black belt.

That is one thing that I disagree with the ATA on, along with some seniors that I know. I don't think anyone should be allowed to get a confirmed black belt rank until they are 12 at a minimum. While the physical skills may be there, I don't think the mental/conceptual side is developed enough until you start getting into the early teen years.

I don't know what your specific gripe with the ATA is, but every post I've seen from you on the subject could be applied to probably half the martial arts organizations out there, and many are filled with misconceptions and generalizations.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I acheived my first dan blackbelt at 3 years of training. I am 13 years old. I dont think i would've been ready at any other time and i was getting a little tired of a high red belt ( i had it for 9 months). I know a girl wgo had some problems commiting and stayed one belt for a whole year and then another belt for another year. She had taken Taekwondo for 5 years!

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.

I think black belt should be reached in 2-2.5 years. Anything less, and it tends to be rushed. Anything over 4 years, and aside from having a hard time remembering the material, I would also question their dedication. If it takes them over four years to earn a black belt, and the school does not require a four year period, I would doubt they are applying themselves very hard.

I have been studying Judo for 18 years, 3 times a week for two hours a session.

I have been studying hapkido for 10 years 2 times a week two hours per session.

This doesnt include my early morning training daily from 4am to 7am.

I am still a white belt and yellow belt respectively.

I would say about 20 years....... anything less than I would question there techniques, ability, school and dedication. I have no problem, remembering material, I have gone to do techniques above my grade. What is a belt color. I wear a black belt to work everyday, and a brown one sometimes, it doesnt affect the quality of the work that I do!!

There are people who make it in 2-3.5 years, but my basic techniques are more solid, and I dont fear them at all, because whatever fancy moves they can pull, I can counter more effectively because I have spent more than half of my life at the bottom of the food chain, learning and drilling basics!

Edited by h2whoa

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

That is one thing that I disagree with the ATA on, along with some seniors that I know. I don't think anyone should be allowed to get a confirmed black belt rank until they are 12 at a minimum. While the physical skills may be there, I don't think the mental/conceptual side is developed enough until you start getting into the early teen years.

What he said.

Being a Black Belt is more than just punching and kicking and memorizing forms. It's learning and internalizing life skills as well. In the developmental process with kids, there is a very real argument that can be made that, in general, kids do not start exhibiting rational mental behaviour until about age 6 when they have their first real mental growth spurt.

Given that, awarding a Black Belt to someone 8 or less is just wrong. The kid hasn't been rational long enough to have internalized the life skills. Age 9 is pushing it, but you can make the argument that at 9, at least 1/3 of their life has been in a rational mindset where the concepts actually make sense.

I'd personally like to see a minimum age for First Degree of no less than 10 - 12 years old.

I think I have said this elsewhere or previously. But I agree with the statement of 'as long as it takes'.

Now at minimum, in my view, a Black Belt (which I differientiate between a Black Belt, and then a Shodan) should know:

1. How to fight.

a. They should understand the basic techniques, and be able to apply them in every situation.

b. They should under the principles of dynamic fighting, and be able to apply them to every situation, along with what techniques they know.

c. They should be able to do 'a' and 'b' effectively, efficiently, and in a timely manner suited to the situation.

d. They should be consistent with 'a', 'b', and 'c'.

e. That they are expected to demonstrate said fighting skills in accordance with their age level.

2. What it mean to wear a Black Belt.

3. That they are just beginning.

4. That other's see them as knowing something, and or expect to learn from them.

:)

Number 1 is the most important.

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...