• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you teach values?

We had such an interesting discussion of TKD Spirit a while ago--It got me thinking: how many of your dojangs explicitly teach the values behind TKD?

For example, do your students have lessons on how to be courteous? Or how to show integrity? (Those are two of the "tenets of TKD" that we recite each week in our school)

Or how about "I shall not misuse TKD"--do any of your schools have lessons in conflict management--that is, how NOT to get into a fight?

Someone asked me this once, and I said that our dojang teaches this implicitly, through the behavior of the teachers and through reminders to students who get out of line. But I wonder if more is done elsewhere.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, my dojang teaches values. We have a "saying of the week." It can be anything from "How can I show respect" to "Teach and grow." And we talk about it at the end of class.

Laurie F

We've done a few things in the classes that I go to.

During the stretching portion of the workout, the instructor will ask the students (usually the kids) what each of the tenets mean and/or provide examples of each.

We've also had some contests where the adults provide examples of following a tenet and the kids have to guess which tenet they are thinking of.

We had such an interesting discussion of TKD Spirit a while ago--It got me thinking: how many of your dojangs explicitly teach the values behind TKD?

For example, do your students have lessons on how to be courteous? Or how to show integrity? (Those are two of the "tenets of TKD" that we recite each week in our school)

We have 9 that we teach explicitly. Confidence, Attitude, Goals, Respect, Esteem, Perseverance, Focus, Discipline, Integrity. (These are the colored belt life skills).

Each month we focus on one, and use stories and examples during class to show how it applies. For our junior leadership classes (One a week), they do projects, and look for examples in their everyday life to bring in that demonstrate the current life skill.

We also work in other life skills, these are just the main ones that get focused on specifically.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Our Dojangs (those in my instructor's federation) very explicitly teach values to our students. We end the class each time with a short lecture. Often we address values like hard work or using the martial arts for self-defense, or acting with honor and respect... sometimes the lectures are just upcoming events updates.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

As Laurie already said, we have a thought of the week posted at the school that we discuss after class. When I teach class, however, I take the thought of the week and design my class around it-using drills, stories, activities, questions, etc., to highlight the thought so that by the end of class everyone has not only heard it but has experienced it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We don't spend an entire class on values, but we focus on it throughout the class, and opportunities always open up during class for little mini lessons on misusing tkd or being courteous. And we always recite our TKD Spirit at the end of every class and go over what it means when we have a new student.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

I definitely teach values! but, then, I teach as a Christian outreach ministry as well as a martial art. I have a Bible study at the beginning (5 min or so), some object lessons throughout, and some creed-type repitition at the beginning and end of class. We also have prayer.

In Christ,

Phil Stewart

4th Dan Tang Soo Do

I like these ideas, especially the ones where the teachers encourage active learning of the values--through activities, story-telling, and games.

As a student--and a fairly new one--is there any way I could encourage this to happen at my school? or should I butt out? You teachers, would you appreciate a student asking for changes or additions to the curricululm?

taekwondomom

Well... not sure I'd want to be the one telling my instructor how to teach.:D

But that said... you could ask your instructor to speak with you privately... and you could share with him, your desire to 'further your study' into the values, philosophy and history, of Taekwondo.

He might be able to help you in that area.

Another thing to remember... and this is HUGE...

You're ultimately the one responsible for your learning... if for some reason, your instructor is unable to 'fit' as much of this values and philosophy training into the schedule as you might like...

There's NOTHING that says you can't do a little research on your own time.

I'm not sure what 'style' of TKD you're studying... I know a bit about the ITF style (Since the ATA used to use the same forms and other learning material when I was in the ATA), and I have some limited knowledge of the Songahn style...

If I knew what 'style' you were studying... I could probably try to point you more toward information that coincides with the 'style' you're studying.

For now though... I recommend THIS site, VERY highly...

http://www.tkdtutor.com

Lots of GREAT information there... on the history and philosophy of TKD, as well as some bits of practical advice from a long-time practitioner of Taekwondo.

Your's in Taekwondo,

Paul

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.