• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First competition!

osuperu

ok, so i know i didnt get into karate for competion and wining anything, but this is a great test to see what i have accomplished these first 6 weeks! and more importantly, what i need to work on!...its one step sparring for my low low level and kata comps to (i of course am doing heian shodon) my sensei told me to try and do everything, so its going to be a very humble expeiernce as well! :)

its going to be this sat morning so wish me luck!! its all i have been thinking about for a week!

and hey, any advice?...hehe :P ...?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just do your kata like you mean it! If you mess up, don't stop ;) The judges might not have seen the mistake anyways.

Like one of my instructors said (after he was asked how he watches so many people during a test), "I don't have to watch everyone "exactly." YOU tell me when you mess up when you stop or grunt or say Oh Darn." LOL

Laurie F

Just do your kata like you mean it!

Agreed. :) Just throw as much energy as you've got into everything. And remember, it's a learning experience! Get as much out of it as you can :) Good luck!

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

wow......great competition. had a lot of fun and saw some great bb competition!

its odd that i personally had a better kumite (1 step) than my kata comp. i thought my kata was far better than my kumite..mayeb thats because i put a lot of pressure and was quite nervous for just the kata!...hmm..

oh..lots to improve opon, which i will start tomorrow!

so, how did you place? :karate:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

well the grouping was between the 3 lower levels of kyu ( i think im not even a kyu, becuase i havent done any tests yet) and had 14 people aged from 15 to 24. kata was first and i didnt do as good as i thought (probably nervousness) but then in 1 step sparring i got 3rd place, and then in team kata i actually captained my heian shodon (hahaha) to 2nd palce (there was only 4 teams hehe) oh well.. i got a lot of feeback, and what surprised me was that most of it was on my front stance, and not back stance, which i though my front stnce was solid

so basically it was great because this helped me figure out all the impovings i need to work on

congrats...you performed admirably for your first time out. :karate:

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous