• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

insurance?

For those of you that teach martial arts for a living (don't have any other job) what do you do for health insurance? MA may be able to pay the bills, but an accident can run up gigantic medical bills. Dentist bills? Insurance for your family? How do you cover all of these things?

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fortunately my wife works, so I am covered under her policy.

Since we (MA professionals) rely on our physical bodies for our living, it is very risky to not have good insurance coverage. I recently got a head injury in a freak accident that left me in the hospital for a week. I had never been in the hospital before, but the stay and various tests ran into the tens of thousands of dollars. If I had not been covered, I don't know that I would have gotten treatment and might still be messed up.

Luckily for me, I was back at work within two weeks, and it looks like my share of the bill will be a few hundred dollars.

--

I have BCBS of FL, and pay about 190 a month for my wife and I - but we are both young, have no family illnesses or chronic conditions, and don't smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

Im part of the BTC [british tkd council] which for a fee [not much, less than £25 a year] provids full insurance for you and accidents that may occur to or with you.

£2,000,000 private indemnity

£5,000,000 public indemnity

These can be doubled for an increase in the fee [useful if you train in a busy Dojang with lots of students].