• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How far would you travel for class?

I'm in a bit of a dilema here. There are a few good school in my future area and have researched them pretty well. I've already decided to join a MMA school almost next to my house, and I have two karate dojos under 15 miles from my house (arjukenka Karate and shindo jinen-ryu karate-jutsu). But, a little over an hour north in portland there are two true okinawan karate schools teaching KORYUKAN GOJU KARATE-JUTSU KAI and Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate. Their sites are http://westsidemartialarts.com/home

http://www.northwest-koryukan.com/

If you were in my place, what would you do?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O, theres also quite a few Kajukenbo school in portland. Though, unless I'm mistaken, that style isn't as street worthy as these styles I listed already.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I traveled (the longest) was 40 minutes to get to the school. My first school and the current one only took/takes me 20 minutes to get to.

If I were in your situation, I'd visit those schools first to see if they are actually worth the drive (can't really tell from a website). If you decide that they are worth it, I'd say go for it. But just make sure it will fit into your future schedule (travel time, training time, ect). Good luck :)

Laurie F

I'm in your position already (worse, actually). The dojo I go to is 120 miles away (About a 2 hour drive with traffic). I have no regrets other than wishing it was closer.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

O, theres also quite a few Kajukenbo school in portland. Though, unless I'm mistaken, that style isn't as street worthy as these styles I listed already.

What makes the two schools you've listed more "street" worthy than Kajukenbo, or any other martial art out there :-?

As for the travel question....well that depends on how dedicated you are in your training, an hour is nothing in my book :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I would make the decision not based solely on the style, but on the way class is taught as well. When I recently got back into martial arts, I was determined to only take goju, since it was the style I had trained in previously. However, when I checked out the 2 locations offering it in my area (one was taught by a head sensei, the other by her black belt students), I decided I wasn't impressed with the style of instruction. I looked around a bit more and ended up going with the dojo that's right near my house, which is Shorin Ryu, and I'm thrilled. So, in summary, look at how the individual school teaches the art.

My school is about 10 minutes from where I work.So I normally go straight after work.

Ive been thinking of joining up with a bujinkan school about 20 minutes away.Two reasons why I cant go there,one being I cant drive,and two the whole way there I need to take the highway.

Shorin-ryuu, How many days a week on average do you go to that school? I would think it'd be difficult to go more than once or twice a week.

Pacificshore, my apologies on the kejukenbo remark, I guess it all depends on the instructor.

I e-mailed the goju ryu instructor yesterday and told him of my situation (I've talked to him before), and he said he'd recommend the shindo jinen-ryu school, he said he knows the instructor and has a shodan under him. So, unless I see it as better to drive over an hour twice a week (once a week isn't enough) then I'll join the shindo lilen-ryu school.

Joshua Brehm

on thursdays i get a train up to the lesson and a bus back it takes about 45 mins. on sundays i have to get a train and a bus and then a 15 min walk that takes me about 2hrs to get there. i live in south west london and my senseis has lots of classes but they are all up in north west london appart from the thursday whch is is west london. i would go to the others but i don't really have the time on a weekday as id get home at between 11 or 12 at night so i just go to the gym insted. when i finish college im going to check out the club thats 5mins away from my house and see what thats like and go there twice a week if its any good.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.