• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate sparring UN EFFECTIVE ON STREET

louie_shotokan

Remember, its not how well you train, or how many experience you have with the punching bag. Its how much fear you have.

A martial artist might not even last a day in the ghetto...........these people have no fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with CIA,

Sparring under controlled conditions and street fighting are not even close to the same thing. And sparring in the dojo is not going to help you deal with your emotions in a real fight. Controlling your emotions is the most important SD technique there is, before choosing the most effective course of action to take. Unfortunatly alot of MA training gives people a false ego that they are good fighters but they are only good fighters under certain rules.

Also, Karate fighting is for sport and competition, not for street fighting.

No true Karateka would willingly engage in a streetfight (but I guess that goes without saying).

"Let's Get It On!!!"

http://www.rmcat.com/by_lito_angeles.htm

I really REALLY recommend reading this.

Over the years, I've had the opportunity to study with scores of self-defense instructors. A few were good, but most were not. Only a handful really understood the difference between combat and sport, between reality and fantasy.

If you've been confronted on the streets before, trust me you'll know how scarey it can be.

OK you can't put any MA in the same box as CQC (close quarter combat) but IMO MA training can help, you should have the speed and timing to block a haymaker and counter.

Once you relise there are no rules and train in a different way for such instances e.g drill yourself to eye gauge and kick in groin as a automatic defence, accept you may have to take something in order to get an entrance, if grabbed remember your kata bunkai and if all else fails be prepared to bite off ears,fingers etc. But we are talking about only 2-3% of the population that should be difficult to deal with, and if when confronted you step back form a perfect forward stance and kiah your going too get hurt 2 times out of 3.

The difference is that no ones going to attack you with a reverse punch it would be haymaker ,hammerfist with bottle,headbutt, or grab. The defence and counters to these attacks are in our katas, but in sparring these attacks are not generally included so thats why karate sparring may be considered by some as not effective on the street.

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

i disagree with u because sparring is effective...just cuz u feel safe after a hit in class or tournaments is one thing but when your on the street its diff. u can punch and kick in the groin...my point is that anything goes on the streets and you have been trained by sparring and etc...so your going to be more prepared.

your context is irrelevant. They are attributes. Attributes do not make fighting skill. Period.

So the fact that one has the courage to face you in combat; and, has the skill to avoid and take everything you throw at him and has the power to send you to hospital,or worse, with one blow, is irrelevant because those "attributes do not make fighting skill"?

We've all seen MA with superior attributes get mauled by "street fighters"... Why does this happen? Because his attributes were not enough...

I am not talking about the attributes of Martial Arts but MARTIAL ARTISTS. When you have a martial artist who has the COURAGE to face a bull; the skill and the speed to avoid its attacks; and the POWER to kill it with one's fists (one blow, in a few cases), then this martial artist CAN fight.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

to answer your first rebuttle to elbows and knees, being able to use attributes effectivly makes one a opportunist not skilled one.

What you refer to in my mind is indeed an opportunist who is able to use it agaisnt the other, which in its on right is a whole different skill.

I think this is similar to an article that i learned from

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

The benefits gained from sparring in the safe environment of the dojo in dealing with SD situations are proven to be minimal.

Check out senshido.com if you want some real SD advice,

Richard Dimitri is one of the best.

"Let's Get It On!!!"

to answer your first rebuttle to elbows and knees, being able to use attributes effectivly makes one a opportunist not skilled one.

What you refer to in my mind is indeed an opportunist who is able to use it agaisnt the other, which in its on right is a whole different skill.

Don't attributes and skills come through practice? Isn't finishing a fight with one blow a skill? Isn't effectively avoiding an opponent (or a raging bull) also a skill?

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Don't attributes and skills come through practice? Isn't finishing a fight with one blow a skill? Isn't effectively avoiding an opponent (or a raging bull) also a skill?

I don't think anyone can end a fight in one blow. Not even a UFC fighter. Its fantasy.