• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate sparring UN EFFECTIVE ON STREET

louie_shotokan

well i dont think when some schools arnt taught traditionaly that its not COMPLETELY true that they dont get egos. I think it depends on the instructor and of what i have seen untraditional schools tend to have larger egos.

Also the part where the man who took out 300 men and felled 50 bulls, I actually beleive it. I think its a big deal to kill a bull, even though i dont think he should. He must have good technique and strentgh to pull of that.(shows disapline). The bulls may have been sick, i cant argue that and its completely plusable.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont think when some schools arnt taught traditionaly that its not COMPLETELY true that they dont get egos. I think it depends on the instructor and of what i have seen untraditional schools tend to have larger egos.

that's not really an agree/disagree thing - it's different personal experiences, that's all. everyone's will be different. I started in TMA and moved to sport fighting and these are my experiences. yours will be different. As for the instructor - he didn't have this attitude - the students developed it themselves. BUT, I know that the instructor had done some competing in his day as well, which goes back to my theory - competition is good for humbling you.

Also the part where the man who took out 300 men and felled 50 bulls, I actually beleive it. I think its a big deal to kill a bull, even though i dont think he should. He must have good technique and strentgh to pull of that.(shows disapline). The bulls may have been sick, i cant argue that and its completely plusable.

I didn't say he didn't kill bulls. I said that there is rumor that the bulls he killed were already sick. I also said that it only proves that he was strong - but being strong doesn't mean much by itself. There are people today who could do it - a few have been listed already.

As for the 300 people, who knows - I am skeptical about that one. However, I am also skeptical about rickson's claim to beating 400. Names would be nice, as it shows some sort of paper trail you can verify.

sparring is nothing more than karate tag. It may be a great way to test trapping, blocking, and striking techniques, but I wouldn't give any credo to its effectiveness on the street.

I agree with Mr. Mike. Once in a while, we will have our black belt class do "Street Sparring" with sweeps, grabs, tackles, ground fighting, etc. You quickly find out that kicking gets trickey and the more you do it (street sparring), the less you kick.

Finding out that someone can take a punch to the head as they bull-rush you and grapple you to the ground is a real eye-opener.

Fu sheng wu lian tianzun

2nd Dan - Shaolin Kempo

Drunken Master's Classic Kung Fu Theater | DojoZen.com

Ok guys if we stick TO THE TOPIC it would be nice.

My oppinion regarding Karate sparring and the street is - if people think that a gedan barai is a BLOCK and oi tzuki is a PUNCH than they are goners. It also depends on what kind of sparring u have in the dojo. WE train with the blackamn a lot ( the suit in which one feels no pain when punched or kicked ) and we are "forced" to go over the limits and "give it all we got" cause if you do not kick or punch someone in a controled enviroment you will NEVER be able to do that on the streets... guaranteed. Most of the people would just freeze up and panic.

There are many many masters with i dont know which degree black belts that have never even got punched in the face and when that happens its a big blow " how what who where ??"

My advice : Train hard :karate:

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing

i agree but saying sparring in general is uneffective is a bit weird - depends on how you spar.... i spar quite regular with my instructor at full contact and i imagine the same occurs with soem karate schools.

rs"]

lets not forget most street fights are over within seconds ,so stamina is not the main concern but quality of the technique is ! :)

you do understand how adrenaline works, right? It saps your energy. It increases sight, strength, etc. TEMPORARILY, then it leaves you sapped and tired. Since you guys are big on talking about multiple opponent fights, we'll use that as an example - adrenaline won't save you there. this is where conditioning comes in handy. What if you have to run? there's more benefit of conditioning. Also, not all fights last only a few seconds. To prepare yourself for the ideal is not a smart thing. you should prepare for the worst, no?

yes I do agree with what you said ,conditioning is very important but quality of your technique is more important .think of this someone could be as fit as a fiddle but if his strikes are not effective he won't last long .

with a good technique, one always has a chance to end the conflict quickly ,but as you rightly said there is no best .so maybe my best won't be as good as opponents best ! but who knows ! you never know until you produce your best and for that first you need to be calm and relaxed in the mind ,like an state of emptiness .once this is achieved one can flow and blend in with the opponents moves and take advantage .

learning how to fight in martial arts is like having a weapon like a gun .you may know how to use a fire arm and even carry one ,but it is the mind that has to initiate pulling the triger ,karate is the same .how good your gun is depends on the quality of your training and instruction ,not the style . :)

never give up !

If sparring really wasnt effective, Im sure it would not have been practiced for centuries. Stamina is definantly key in survival though. But Im not so sure about full padded suits,

I just dont think it really does prepare one as well as learnind to fight through the pain. My 2c.

As for Mas-Oyama-Sosai, RE: the bulls,

Ive seen some 8mm footage of a portion of this feat, in deed, it is quite plausable some of the bulls were sickly,

but I can tell you, the bulls in the footage ive seen are quite brutal, the type which disperse large crouds when loose-rapidly,

ask anyone whos done rodeo, I dont think youd get them standing in front of a 400kg enraged bull barehanded, ready to strike it barefist.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

i think the assumption that because its been done for centuries therefore works is a bit fallacious.

Sparring has many forms.... it depends how you spar on how well it may prepare you for real life.

some work - some may not.

sparring is nothing more than karate tag. It may be a great way to test trapping, blocking, and striking techniques, but I wouldn't give any credo to its effectiveness on the street.

You wouldn't think practicing sparring would help to fight better on the street? Odd.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

I believe Mike is talking about using point sparring, in which case I agree with him.

That develops very bad habits, such as standing in a sideways stance, emphasizing speed rather than power, and turning your back to avoid getting hit in the face/body.