• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate sparring UN EFFECTIVE ON STREET

louie_shotokan

why!? sparring is realistic! in sparring a feint jab to the head and a mae geri will score but in a street fight you feint a jab front kick them in the gut that insnt that effective!? or a combo ex: jab and reverse to the head and it lands on the street isnt that effective?! and if you have gud reflecses in sparring dosnt that mean will will be able to parry good!?

conclusion...sparring is like a street fight exept its controled

if your a great sparrer youl do well in the street...

BUT I MEAN SPARRING SPARRING THE ONE THAT GOES,YOU SCORE A POINT,BUT THEY DONT STOP IT KEEPS GOING,I MEANT THAT SPARRING, THEN THEY COUNT THE POINTS AT THE END OF THE MATCH. NOT THE POINT SPARRING ITS GIVES A BAD HABIT OF FEELING SAFE AFTER A HIT YOU DO THAT ON THE STREET YOUR DEAD[/img]

gyaku tsuki

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh?....what point are you trying to make? who said sparring is not effective on the street?

your right sparring is conrtolled...on the street people will fight dirty they will grab hold of you they will kick your legs out...whatever they want, it IS different.

im not saying sparring is ineffective, rather a ballanced knowledge of sparring, grappling, and ground fighting is nescisary to do well on the street.

but, i wouldn't even consider fighting on the street anyways.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

What point are you trying to make? sparring is used in karate, but it doesn't tell you to use in on the street. Once you have the skills, you can use it on the street, you don't have to follow the rules of sparring.....

If I could describe a street fight in just one way, it would be uncontroled.

If you're a great sparrer, you still may get creamed on the street.

sparring is nothing more than karate tag. It may be a great way to test trapping, blocking, and striking techniques, but I wouldn't give any credo to its effectiveness on the street.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Sitting in the passenger seat of a car is like driving, except your not behind the wheel.

I tend to disagree, you may be super good at sparring but it doesnt automatically mean your going to be super good at self defence.

When you spar, your opponent is someone you know and have most probably sparred before, you know what to expect from them and you know they will stop if you are hurt or cant continue. With this knowledge, you will probably try things you normally wouldnt do if you were in a fight for your life.

In some ways sparring and actual fighting are related, but in alot of ways they are worlds apart. To think you could win a street fight, based only on your results in sparring matches, would be foolish to say the least.

sure, you can work reflexes and spontaneity, as well as counters, but it stops there.

I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to get the hang of sparring technique and hoping it works in the street...I don't spar too much because it has almost no real application...it's just for fun.

Full contact sparring, however, is another story entirely.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

There are some aspects of sparring that are applicable on the street. But you will be creamed by someone who has even a little real fighting background if sparring is all you do.

Here are some examples that help illustrate the differences:

Sparring: Guy hits the ground and reff call's hut and the guys square back up and continue to fight

Street: Guy hits the ground and someone gets mounted and usually the bigger guy start's pummeling the smaller guy.

Sparring: Guy throws a punch and the other guy blocks and throws a punch back.

Street: Guy throws a punch and the other guy doesn't seem to care. He simply throws the other guy against a wall and knees him in the stomach and continues by smashing his face into a table.

Sparring: One guy who is tired of getting hit grabs the other guy and the ref breaks them apart and they square back up.

Street: One guy who is tired grabs the other guy and they both hit the ground, the guy who is tired falls onto a curb and cracks his skull as the other guy falls on him. The conscious guy gets back up, kicks the dazed guy about 10 times and leaves.

Sparring: Two people face each other and a ref yells hogime and they start fighting.

Street: One guy gets belligerent and gets in the face of another guy. The belligerent guys slightly drunk friend sees there's about to be some action and wants in. He grabs the guy his friend is assaulting. As the guy who gets grabbed turns to face his new assaulter he gets punched in the back of the head by the original assaulter. He stumbles, falls against the side of the bar, hears someone yell "call the cops" as he realizes his ribs are being broken by repetitive undercuts to the gut. Pinned against the bar he struggles to get free but can't summon the strength because he has no breath. Eventually someone breaks it up and the cops take statements.

I hope this illustrates why sparring doesn't teach most everything you need on the street.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

First rule on the street has to be: get away if you can. Me, I'm a good runner!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)