• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

keeping classes fresh

JimmyNewton

I know everyone out there is guilty at times (at least once) of feeling bored with the same ol' routines class after class. I know they are meant to make students ingrained with the lessons..however.. I was wondering what your senseis do, or if there are instructors reading this..what you guys do to keep your classes fresh. not saying classes always get stale, but hopefully you see what i"m getting at. just wondering how to keep classes from becoming mundane. thanks

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know everyone out there is guilty at times (at least once) of feeling bored with the same ol' routines class after class.
Not yet ;)

Umm... how they keep classes fresh? :idea: We do a fair amount of partner work, going through one-steps with different moves and applications. When I first started, a nice partner drill we worked on was with outside and inside blocks... you'd face your partner, and you'd each hold a block out against the other's. Then you'd slowly increase the pressure, trying to find out where you can get the most force from. I thought that was pretty cool.

We go through kata, and from my point of view, I learn something different almost every time I do it... still finding things to work on and fine-tune (but this may not be the same for everyone.. I'm not sure if that qualifies as "keeping it fresh").

I don't know :P I'm just throwing out ideas... I haven't really been bored with "same ol' routines" yet ;) (but I guess I've only been doing karate for 7 months :))I just try to fine-tune whatever I'm doing at the time.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I had four favorite things that I used to use to break up the monotony. When I noticed low morale or lagging students i would devote an entire class to one of the following four things:

1) Pushups class. 10 reps of every kind of pushup you can imagine. It's not that many when you divide it up into 10 reps, but afterwards when you tell the kids that they just did 150-200 pushups they're all like 'wow, i had no idea.'

2) obstacle course. I'd set up several different 'obstacles' in the room, such as hanging bags, heavy bags, speed bags, etc. All of the students would go through, one at a time, to see how fast they can get through. At each place they would have to do something different. Maybe 10 front kicks on a heavy bag, then 20 pushups, then 40 situps, then jump over a chair, then 100 jumping jacks, etc.

3) station workout. Similar to the obstacle course, except every stays at the same station for a determined amount of time. For instance, someone will be doing pushups for two minutes while someone else does side kicks.

4) races. This was mostly for the young kids; I'd set up two people holding a bag or hand pads. Two people would line up and race to 50 front kicks or punches or whatever. The winner stays and the loser goes to the back of the line. The kids loved this one.

There are probably more, but it's been a while. Seems like they used to enjoy walking the floor with different stances and punches - or maybe that was me that like that! I also found that anytime you can incorporate something into the workout that isn't usually associated with everyday training, they like it: chairs, cinder blocks, bouncy balls, etc.

Why does a martial arts class have to be entertaining?

You are supposed to be preparing yourself for combat which is very unpleasant and very hard.

Imagine if you had to practise the same Kata for the next three years and nothing else?

Mastering a martial art is not about entertainment, its not about enjoyment, its not about having fun, its about preparing your for the worse that life may send at you.

I am sorry, but its a pet peve of mine to see the whole decline in standards of martial arts because a teacher changes the class curriculum to apease students. It infuriates me that students can control the overall standard of a school because they will leave if its too hard or not enough fun.

Lets get back to real arduous training where the men stay and the boys leave.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I feel that it is easier to work hard when done in an fun way. I would work hard if all we did was exercises however it makes it alot more interesting.

My Sensei always changes the main purpose of the class. One day it can be about DMMs and Kempos, next it can be about Katas. That keeps it from being too predictable

Why does a martial arts class have to be entertaining?

You are supposed to be preparing yourself for combat which is very unpleasant and very hard.

Imagine if you had to practise the same Kata for the next three years and nothing else?

Mastering a martial art is not about entertainment, its not about enjoyment, its not about having fun, its about preparing your for the worse that life may send at you.

I am sorry, but its a pet peve of mine to see the whole decline in standards of martial arts because a teacher changes the class curriculum to apease students. It infuriates me that students can control the overall standard of a school because they will leave if its too hard or not enough fun.

Lets get back to real arduous training where the men stay and the boys leave.

Well, if you've ever taught a class - Martial Arts or otherwise - you'll know that the key to making what you're saying sink in is to keep their attention. One way to do that is through demanding respect and shouting commands, like a drill sergeant. The other way is to make it interesting.

Kids also have a short attention span. They need entertainment to keep their interest. Otherwise they'll lose interest and leave.

I don't think you'll disagree that learning to kick and punch are key to the Martial Arts. I also think you'll agree that basic exersizes should be part of the cirricullum. What's so bad about doing these in a fun way four or five times a year? Do you really think it's better that you line everyone up every day for an hour and make everyone do the exact same kick over and over shouting out commands? Maybe that would be beneficial once or twice, but not for every class.

You've got to change it up a little, and this is possible without disrupting the integrity of the Martial Arts. I can see where you are coming from, but you are thinking of extreme versions of 'fun' classes. There's nothing wrong with having a fun class - with a workout - everyonce in a while, but there also has to be some structure and predictability to it.

whew!

Well, if you've ever taught a class - Martial Arts or otherwise - you'll know that the key to making what you're saying sink in is to keep their attention. One way to do that is through demanding respect and shouting commands, like a drill sergeant. The other way is to make it interesting. Kids also have a short attention span. They need entertainment to keep their interest. Otherwise they'll lose interest and leave. I don't think you'll disagree that learning to kick and punch are key to the Martial Arts. I also think you'll agree that basic exersizes should be part of the cirricullum. What's so bad about doing these in a fun way four or five times a year? Do you really think it's better that you line everyone up every day for an hour and make everyone do the exact same kick over and over shouting out commands? Maybe that would be beneficial once or twice, but not for every class.

You've got to change it up a little, and this is possible without disrupting the integrity of the Martial Arts. I can see where you are coming from, but you are thinking of extreme versions of 'fun' classes. There's nothing wrong with having a fun class - with a workout - everyonce in a while, but there also has to be some structure and predictability to it. whew!

I have taught Karate for over 30 years and have been training for 41 years. I did not mean to make a class deliberately boring but there is a tendency that in order to attract and retain students a class has to be "made fun" in the modern sense of the word.

Karate is a martial art. Many people want to practise Karate and have strong links to its traditions, except when it comes to the manner of training.

I have spent a lot of time in Japan over the years and once trained full time for 2 years in Tokyo. I can tell you that the traditional way of training in Karate is not fun. Its hard, its brutal, its arduous, its even humiliating at times.

The Japanese train in the true Samurai spirit. To them its war. In the Dojo in Japan one was not corrected by a nice encouraging word, no! You found yourself lying on the floor in a sprawled mess after having your feet kicked out from under you, with you teacher yelling "Mae Geri no good! faster faster!".

As much as I hated that at the time, I realised that by only have a stern teacher could one grow properly. A soft teacher will only ever develop soft students. Us in the west for the most part do not understand this. The Japanese dont seem to care about sizes of dojos, student rolls and money for the most part. When they train, they train you fiercely to help you develop and indominable spirit.

Only by severe suffering and want can you get to stare into the abyss and reach a point of really finding out the limits of your soul, to start to build a solid foundation with the ultimate goal of achieving a unconquerable spirit.

Our Karate forefathers knew this principal well. Karate came from war and the need for self preservation. Life is hard, life can be brutal and of course an enemy is never forgiving. Life can be a little easier when we are tougher on ourselves.

Given a choice of a brutal teacher and a teacher who would compremise the traditions of Karate training and be soft, as much as I hate the hard system; I would take the brutal training any day, because I know its the only way mastering Karate can be achieved.

In my mind a true martial artist will stand tall and enter his/her lesson in the dojo with enthusiasm and optimism knowing that extremely hard work will pay high dividends!

I love this "Warrior Code":

I will train with the utmost intensity, dedication and desire

I will turn obstacles into opportunities to demonstrate my power and strength

No feat is beyond my reach, I will write my own destiny

To hell with genetics, I will determine my physical prowess and strength

I am an action taker not an action faker

I am a leader not a follower

There are no magic pills. My strength and power originate from my intensity and devotion

There are no shortcuts to the top. The Warrior’s journey is never ending. I will surge forward, improving myself each day.

I will rise to the top, overcome all obstacles, and destroy my internal and external enemies.

Excuses are weak, Warriors are strong. I am a Warrior!!

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Having never actually taught karate I cannot speak on the instructor side of the equation. Having been a lifelong student, I can speak on this appropriate side of the equation. I am partial to AnonymousOne's view, and his points are valid.

I have digressionary argument (but it is relevant to the topic...sort of). It is valid only for karateka who are mature enough to understand what it is that they seek to do; little children obviously have no clue and cannot be held to the same standard.

So long as an instructor does his best to provide sufficient instruction at an appropriate pace for the student, a student becoming bored in a karate class is a sign of complacency on the part of the student. If a student feels bored repeating the same katas and the same tecniques over and over again, there are two reasons.

If a student feels bored with repeating a kata or a technique, it is because he or she feels like there is nothing left to refine. They "know" that kata already, or they "know" that technique already. I would argue that they are wrong (at the very least on Socratic grounds...). There is no boredom in refinement. Acknowledged masters continued to refine their kata or techniques until they were physically unable to do karate or they died, whichever came first.

If a student feels bored repeating a kata or a technique, it is because he or she depends solely on the class as source of knowledge and pratice and does not bother learning or practicing things from class on his or her own. There is no boredom in learning outside of class and thinking critically. Shorin Ryuu wrote an excellent piece in his martial arts blog about these two things. Students should independently investigate techniques and concepts learned in class outside of class with training partners or on their own. This inspires them to think critically about their MA. If anything, practicing outside of class should generate questions in class. Instructors should verify these critical thinking skills.

I would want an instructor who is hard but fair (I diverge from AnonymousOne on this particular point in that a traditional instructor can be a harsh taskmaster without be degrading or humiliating; I offer Chosin Chibana as an example). He would be a repetitious, broken record. He would challenge me to think critically about what I am doing and encourage me to practice things independently. My boredom with him would be no one's fault but my own.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

thanks scottnshelly..you see where I'm coming from. Anonymous one..you almso seem as if i'm asking for playtime..especially by saying let the men stay and the bos go home..compelty not what i was getting at. You keep saying "fun". I word I never even utteres..but asked about how to keep classes fresh. 2 entirely different things. I think in anything..work, school sports, etc..the coaches, instructors, teachers or boss's have to make it interesting for their athletes, students, karatekas, employees, and so on.

while not a martial artist, Dean Smith, who is regarded as one of the best basketball coaches ever, notes certain things in his book on how he would keep practice fresh and interesting in order to obtain maximum output from his players. I was just wondering deifferent theories to apply the same approach in the MA world.

I can promise you I train with extreme intensity and diligence. was not asking for sugarcoated fun playtime sessions...just ideas to keep from being overly repetative.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

however, I do need to work on my typing. sorry for the typos....