• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Athletic backgrounds?

Just wondering how many people had athletic backgrounds before they started in martial arts, and how it affected their learning process?

I've been a competitive athlete since I was 4 (Starting in swimming, did that for 17 years, along with cycling, cross country, water polo, triathlons, track, soccer, golf and wrestling, various others), and as such, I have a really good ability to learn physical elements quickly, and excellent body control (Balance, etc.)

I've tended to find that people that started athletics early in life (Even if they quit for a long time) will pick up the physical aspects a lot more readily than someone that hasn't really been an athlete.

Anyone else have similar backgrounds, or observations on same?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being athletic CAN help, but it's no guarantee. I've been into martial arts since I was 6 (I'm 27 now) I bowled, ran track, played basketball, football, etc. But that doesn't necessarily help with coordination, although you will be in shape and used to hard training. I have some wrestlers in class who have lots of trouble with footwork - it doesnt mesh with their wrestling training, so they are having to relearn. They have no problems with the actual training, but have a hard time picking some of the techniques up.

I wrestled before I got into martial arts. While it helped with a couple things (sense of balance, upsetting an opponents balance, no hesitation invading someone else's personal space), it hindered me in other ways. While overall I think it helped me learn how to grapple quicker, almost all my wrestling moves were detrimental and / or useless. Some put me at a serious disadvantage (tendency to go to the stomach, not to the back, if on bottom, or to try and make a person go to their back, instead of their stomach, if they're on bottom).

Overall, I think it gave me an advantage with foundation (more important), and a disadvantage with technique (less important).

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

I played basketball and golf in high school a lot... I'm not quite sure if it really helped me with picking up the techniques faster; however, I think coming into MA in good shape helped, and I was used to pushing myself through challenges.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

It certainly can help in many ways, since your general cardiovascular conditioning is going to be better than the average person who starts.

Still, though, each set of activities uses a different set of muscles, and possibly different kinds of conditioning. While conditioning in one area may carry over significantly into another, they aren't going to overlap enough.

Just as an example, we had a fitness instructor join the dojo once. She was in great physical condition, and could teach aerobics and weight training all day long. About 40 minutes into the intermediate class (she had some experience a while ago), though, she was exhausted. I'm pretty much certain, that if I were to attend one of her aerobics / weight training classes, that I'd be huffing and puffing as well, despite being in decent condition. Still, though, she lasted a lot longer than anyone else did, when it came to new folks, and has since then, stuck with the program.

I played soccer for about 10 years and got invited to play professionally in Belgiam when i was only 13. Unfortunately we couldn't afford for me to go at the time but who cares... They wanted me :)

I also played basketball and baseball as a boy, worked out in high school, you know the usual...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I'm a really fast runner, I ran about a mile or two a day. At my first class the master kept on commenting on how strong my legs were.

But my arm strength has never been too good. He kept on trying to get me to do atleast ONE real pushup. Now I can do twenty real pushups- but everyone else can do atleast 60. I need to concentrate on my arms more! I took ballet when I was younger- unfortunately that didn't make me any more flexible.

Ummm....well, my first time around with karate, I had never joined a sport team. I was there for a year, quit, then I've picked it up again after abuot 4 years, and no sports or anything in between. I pick a lot of physical things up quickly, even though my first dojo was a McDojo. The part I really love, though, is the philosophical aspects of MA. Not the point of this topic, but oh well. But no, I don't think it makes overly much difference.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu