How to block Low Kicks??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh dude! Shin blokes kill if it's a full blown whack, bring the mirrowing foot up and bloke just above/below the knee before the power gets going. In a street fight aim for the knee if you need to put them out of commision, but dont train it or you'll be very unpopular

"I didn't lose!!! I just ran out of time to figure out how to beat him."

(Thai-Kick-Jitsu, Blue Belt)

Try checking the incoming low kick with your shin on there foot. Your shin will always be stronger than there foot is even if you do not have the best conditioned shins.
My normal wear shoes are steel-toed. I do not recommend that you your your shin to absorb my kick.

Perhaps you are thinking in terms of sparring where no one is wearing shoes.

I agree. Shin block works wonders. I do it in TKD and get in trouble, cause it hurts them hehehehehehe. But it works
Does it work as well when you spar against a Muay thai guy who conditions his shins? or is this more a case of it working because your opponents are not competent to deal with it?

That said. I prefer the knee-check, stop-kick, and moving (all options suggested here) over shin blocks. Tey way I have seen them used seems to make them rather predictable exploitable as well, but that's a different issue.

The Big issue here is that you may (for example) block my steel-toes shoe with your shin. It won't hhurt me, but it may very-well break your shin.

I like the shin block but if the kick is telegraphed then stepping into the kick with a shin block is highly effective. You are still blocking with your shin but moving into your opponent, this usually makes for a good time to knock out a combo or move into the clinch.

pete,

The superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Crosstraining in bjj/silat/muaythai/jkd/JJJ/kickboxing

• 3 weeks later...
Personaly I don't like shin blocks. Like Kirves said, they never really stop hurting. I prefer blocking with the foot at the knee. (below the knee in practice, lest you throw their knee out of joint. :o ) It's effective if your opponent throws a back leg kick, but if they're launching off the front leg, you gotta be dang quick to block this way in time. I prefer dodging over shin-blocks any day.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

All those are good. Stand facing a partner. Both grab each other, right hand grabs the opponents left sleeve under elbow/tricep and left hand grabs the chest/collar. Then alternate low shin kicks to the opponents shin kick, i.e. both kick right kick so the shins hit together, then kick left shin kick together, hitting shins together, then right and so on. Start very slow and light.

Buy Marco Lala's "Destructive low kicks and knee attacks" vols 1 and 2 videos.

Shin blocks never stop hurting eh.........

Someones frightened off conditioning I reckon.

Yes they do stop hurting after a year or two hitting heavy bags and sparring, and you know you've got it good when you can smash things with your shins. I'm not there yet....not yet.

pete,

The superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions.

Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Crosstraining in bjj/silat/muaythai/jkd/JJJ/kickboxing